Insurance after a drink drive disqualification

Convicted Driver Insurance
Back in October 1988 I applied to re-insure my car after a one year drink drive disqualification.
I used the same insurance brokers as I had before my disqualification.
They were called Hill House Hammond.
They gave me an insurarance quote that was only a couple of quid more than I was paying before
I was disqualified even though I told them that I had a DR10 endorsement.
I asked them why my insurance hadn't increased due to my drink drive disqualification.
Thay said "we have hundreds of clients who have lost their licences due to failing breath tests and
none of them have had an accident, we therefore consider such clients to be low risk. Joy riders who steal expensive cars and crash them are the most dangerous drivers and cost us huge amounts of money".

The Government and the Police consider drink drivers are the most dangerous motorists on the road.
However, unlike the Government and the Police, insurance companies have to make a profit based on real risks in order to survive. I therefore think I know who is telling the truth.

Under the new and updated 'Rehabilitation of offenders Act 1974' anyone who receives a fine, their conviction will become 'spent' after just one year, as opposed to five years as previous. This means that by law you do not have to tell employers, or insurance companies about your convictions. These changes are supposedly going through late this year. So does that mean, as most drink drivers receive a fine, that they will be rehabilitated after a year and will not have to disclose this to insurance companies?

Last edited by a moderator:
How you reapply for your licence depends on whether or not you are in the high risk offender category. You’re classed as a high risk offender if you were disqualified:

• with an alcohol level of over 200 milligrams (mg) in 100 millilitres (ml) of blood, 87.5mg in 100ml of breath, or 267.5mg in 100ml of urine
  • twice in 10 years for being above the legal limit, or being unfit to drive because of drink
  • for failing to supply a breath, blood or urine sample for testing
Before you get your licence back you must have a medical examination with one of DVLA’s appointed doctors to prove you’re fit to drive. The examination will include:

• a questionnaire about your medical history and use of alcohol
  • a physical examination
  • blood tests
You’ll have to pay for your medical examination

Under the new and updated 'Rehabilitation of offenders Act 1974' anyone who receives a fine, their conviction will become 'spent' after just one year, as opposed to five years as previous. This means that by law you do not have to tell employers, or insurance companies about your convictions. These changes are supposedly going through late this year. So does that mean, as most drink drivers receive a fine, that they will be rehabilitated after a year and will not have to disclose this to insurance companies?

I would like to know the answer to this where did you get the information from ?

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off