Insurance Quandry....

Convicted Driver Insurance

M190294

Hi all, this is my first post so be gentle with me..

Like many of you I was foolish/reckless enough etc to drink and drive and am now paying the price- bit of background- banned for 23 months following reduction for rehab course. Breath specimen a ridiculous 127.

The query I have is regarding insurance. Firstly, I am unsure whether my policy at the time of the offence was 'cancelled' by the insurer or by me (and this is important as you know for getting another policy). I informed them at the time of conviction, and asked whether this would impact on the named drivers ability to receive cover. I was advised clearly that provided I did not drive she would continue to be covered.

Once it came to renewal, I told them again about the conviction and the cover ceased. I am unclear therefore whether this would amount to having my insurance cancelled- I am currently looking for quotes and am being extra careful about what I disclose (I am inclined to err on the side of caution, however do not want to give myself more problems than is necessary).

I also have a stupid drunk and disorderly for which I received a fine years ago (not so long ago however that it is spent). This is also hiking the price up- I would have thought that offences of dishonesty and fraud would be more relevant, but insurers are not of the same opinion!

Finally, does anyone know- assuming the very worst case scenario: if I was to have an accident and it later turned out that my insurers decided not to cover me because of an issue about me having insurance cancelled, would they still pay out to any injured third parties?

Bit of a rant, but I am getting desperate to get my life back on the road- I have been abstinent for over a year!!

Thanks in advance

HI There

We all here looking for some answers for the same thing so stop being hard on yourself!

I work in insurance so I will put it briefly

Your insurance has been terminated at renewal as you no longer hold a driving license after obvious drink driving and a conviction by a court of law.

The reason they ask that question is re insurance fraud and non declaration of claims/motoring convictions etc

Your breath reading was high so you may find the main issue with the big insurance companies not covering a reading that high our limit is 100 in the group that I work for.

If the worst case scenario happened then yes insurers must pay out under 3rd party cover on the road traffic act.

Any further specific questions feel free to ask!

Happy motoring!

Hi all, this is my first post so be gentle with me..

Like many of you I was foolish/reckless enough etc to drink and drive and am now paying the price- bit of background- banned for 23 months following reduction for rehab course. Breath specimen a ridiculous 127.

The query I have is regarding insurance. Firstly, I am unsure whether my policy at the time of the offence was 'cancelled' by the insurer or by me (and this is important as you know for getting another policy). I informed them at the time of conviction, and asked whether this would impact on the named drivers ability to receive cover. I was advised clearly that provided I did not drive she would continue to be covered.

Once it came to renewal, I told them again about the conviction and the cover ceased. I am unclear therefore whether this would amount to having my insurance cancelled- I am currently looking for quotes and am being extra careful about what I disclose (I am inclined to err on the side of caution, however do not want to give myself more problems than is necessary).

I also have a stupid drunk and disorderly for which I received a fine years ago (not so long ago however that it is spent). This is also hiking the price up- I would have thought that offences of dishonesty and fraud would be more relevant, but insurers are not of the same opinion!

Finally, does anyone know- assuming the very worst case scenario: if I was to have an accident and it later turned out that my insurers decided not to cover me because of an issue about me having insurance cancelled, would they still pay out to any injured third parties?

Bit of a rant, but I am getting desperate to get my life back on the road- I have been abstinent for over a year!!

Thanks in advance

Any further specific questions feel free to ask!

Happy motoring!

Kelly, in your opinion do short term driving licences hike the price up much. In other words if dvla only issue a 12 month licence after the medical, would most insurance companies quote higher than if a person was issued a licence until they are 70? I assume a short term licence does mean your licence has been restricted!!!!

Thanx in advance

Never ever comes into question as long as the DVLA allow you to hold a driving license that's all you need!

Never ever comes into question as long as the DVLA allow you to hold a driving license that's all you need!

Well in my experience on insurance comparison web sites they ask "Has dvla ever restricted your driving licence" Or words similar. I guess this is aimed more at people with disabilities or heart problems etc and not the issue of short term licences then? Perhaps it says "Has dvla ever refused you a driving licence" In this case I would have to answer yes about 13 years ago and also about 8 years ago.

Can anyone who works in insurance answer me this, if a conviction is considered 'spent' and does now show up on a basic CRB check, do you have to disclose this to insurers? Even if the endorsement is still on the license? As I thought the law clearly states once its spent, you do NOT have to declare a conviction.

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off