Getting Insurance After A Drink Driving Conviction

Convicted Driver Insurance

chris125

Well Known Member
Hi folks

I was curious about the costs involved when a convicted drink driver has served their ban and wants to drive again.

Does the cost of insurance go through the roof?

I imagine the length of ban is a factor as is the type of car you're trying to insure, whether it's your first offence, where you live, how old you are etc etc but I would be interested to hear what the outcome tends to be. There are no prizes for anyone who replies and says that the cost goes up because I imagine a child at playgroup could probably work that out.

So please, for anyone who has had this experience....share your outcome with the rest of us.
Tell us how long your ban was, how much your insurance was before your conviction and how much it was afterwards.

Thanks

Hi folks

I was curious about the costs involved when a convicted drink driver has served their ban and wants to drive again.

Does the cost of insurance go through the roof?

I imagine the length of ban is a factor as is the type of car you're trying to insure, whether it's your first offence, where you live, how old you are etc etc but I would be interested to hear what the outcome tends to be. There are no prizes for anyone who replies and says that the cost goes up because I imagine a child at playgroup could probably work that out.

So please, for anyone who has had this experience....share your outcome with the rest of us.
Tell us how long your ban was, how much your insurance was before your conviction and how much it was afterwards.

Thanks
Hi Chris, That's an interesting question, I'm about to be back on the road in July and have done some online quotes and to be honest my insurance isn't going to be much different from what I was paying. I was paying around £400 before and my best quote with the DD conviction is around £450. But I think like you have said a lot of things effect insurance like type of car and age etc. I have a good no claims bonus so I guess that helps?
Have you got concerns about your insurance?

I only have the DR10 on my license, for the main family car, a 2006 1.6 estate, I was paying £350 ish, first year back from the ban took a hell of a lot of shopping around to even get below a grand, eventually got insured for £747 with a £300 excess. That's with max NCB, haven't had a claim since Feb 1996! Had to ditch all the options like protected NCB, legal cover etc etc.

My other car is a classic, it's off the road for restoration anyway but I had been paying £125 for that (a group 17) on a classic policy. Problem now is that the classic policies won't touch you for 5yrs if you have anything more than a max of 1 speeding offence on your license - anything else is a no-go. There's not a hope in hell of me getting a group 17 car insured for a few years in other words.

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off