Car Insurance day after a ban starts question

Convicted Driver Insurance

Rustywhiskers

My husbands due in court next week for DD. Assuming he's gonna get banned..... we have 4 cars = 3 in his name with me as named driver and mine with him as named driver. Can take him off mine easily enough but can he still be the policy holder with me as only driver on his 3 cars? Don't want to start having to change policies in to my name.

Also can the insurance company charge more for the remainder of the policy term for anything? (Like he was the main driver, now i would be but I'm younger than him by a good few years, or they think he may be a risk and drive), etc .

We plan to be honest and tell them the day it comes in to play but is there a right/better way to go about this with out being penalised further?

Any input welcome :confused:

My husbands due in court next week for DD. Assuming he's gonna get banned..... we have 4 cars = 3 in his name with me as named driver and mine with him as named driver. Can take him off mine easily enough but can he still be the policy holder with me as only driver on his 3 cars? Don't want to start having to change policies in to my name.

Also can the insurance company charge more for the remainder of the policy term for anything? (Like he was the main driver, now i would be but I'm younger than him by a good few years, or they think he may be a risk and drive), etc .

We plan to be honest and tell them the day it comes in to play but is there a right/better way to go about this with out being penalised further?

Any input welcome :confused:

You husband cannot be the main policy holder on three vehicles without a valid driving licence. You have a duty to disclose circumstances which would influence the judgement of an insurer in fixing the insurance premium and policy. Your husband cannot be the main driver of a vehicle if he is not legally entitled to drive. When your husband gets banned, you need to disclose this information to the relevant insurance companies and they will be able to advise you on the necessary steps to take in order for the insurance policies to remain valid and the effect these change of circumstances may have on the insurance premiums you pay.

Last edited:
I was convicted of DD a very long time ago when i had my own business (sole trader).
After the ban i just carried on the any driver policy until my ban was over. I had a couple of drivers.
We got the odd pull now and again without any problems, But i would get the cars registered in your name, and insured in your name. Otherwise you'll get pull by every police car you go near. They're all fitted with numberplate regognition now.
It's more hassle than it's worth to keep them in his name.

HI, I was caught by the ANPR the Police have, I was the only insured person on the car and was arrested for Driving whilst Disqualified and with no insurance.

I had kept the car insured as I was still paying it off, didn't tell the insurance company I was a disqualified driver.

Received a further years extension on driving ban (now September 2014), £400 fine and 150 hours community service (33 hours completed) and also got car impounded and didn't pay to get it recovered so assumed it has been crushed.

It would be best to get his name off the Insurance asap and onto your name, and please do not let him drive and cause further misery to himself and family, I have learnt the hard way.

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off