Need Help on medical and car insurance/Ive been convicted for 23 months

Convicted Driver Insurance

m_sbutt

Hi everyone,
I was convicted for drink driving in april 2011 for 3 years, but i was offered drink driving rehab course which will cut off 9 months of my ban, which i havnt done yet but will do.

So with the course completed i can start to drive in July 2013, What i wanted to know was ;

Question1) Do you need to have 0% alchol level in your medical test???
Question1B) How long do you have to stop drinking before the test ( I currently drink approx 35cl bottle of smirnoff vodka, mixed with redbull once a week )

question2) I am 24 and have 0 no claims bonus, i done a qoute recently i got a quote for fully comp £1600, and then when i disclosed my drink driving conviction the quote went up to £4500-£5500, can any one tell me there experience on how much their insurance was, with and with out the conviction

In 2011 my insurance was about £900 fully comp, i was amazed how prices go up in 1 year, as its £1600 with out disclosing my dr10 conviction.

I would appreciate as many responses as you guys can, want to know everyones experience

Thank you

Mo from London

Hi everyone,
I was convicted for drink driving in april 2011 for 3 years, but i was offered drink driving rehab course which will cut off 9 months of my ban, which i havnt done yet but will do.

So with the course completed i can start to drive in July 2013, What i wanted to know was ;

Question1) Do you need to have 0% alchol level in your medical test???

You will provide a blood sample and several markers will be examined including ALT, MCV, GGT. These need to fall into the acceptable laboratory reference range used by the DVLA. More information the the DVLA medical can be found here.

Question1B) How long do you have to stop drinking before the test ( I currently drink approx 35cl bottle of smirnoff vodka, mixed with redbull once a week)

There is no requirement that you stop drinking for a set period of time before attendting the DVLA medical. It is impossible to predict the outcome which of course will be different for each individual. If you perform a search on the forum then you will see that some people stop drinking for different time periods before attending the medical, some people use supplements such as milk thistle, some people carry on drinking what they usually drink and some people are now tee total. Some people pass the medical, some people fail the medical and some people are issued a temporary driving licence. There is no magic formula that will guarantee that you pass the medical.

question2) I am 24 and have 0 no claims bonus, i done a qoute recently i got a quote for fully comp £1600, and then when i disclosed my drink driving conviction the quote went up to £4500-£5500, can any one tell me there experience on how much their insurance was, with and with out the conviction

In 2011 my insurance was about £900 fully comp, i was amazed how prices go up in 1 year, as its £1600 with out disclosing my dr10 conviction.

A higher insurance premium is inevitable when you have a recent drink driving conviction. It is normal for premiums to rise several hundred pounds as a result. My advice would be to compare, compare, compare. Shop around and obtain as many quotes as you possibly can. An insurance company which works out the cheapest for a certain individual may not be the cheapest for another individual. The price you pay depends on age, geographical location, type of car & driving history amongst other factors.

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off