Insurance

Convicted Driver Insurance

McT

I got an 18 month Ban (15 month for doing rehab course) £700 fine for blowing 55mg. !!!!!! With a clean driving licence for 29 years not even a speeding ticket in all these years I got well done.:mad:
Can anyone tell me do Insurance companies take the count and past records into consideration ? I still have four months to go but will have to start saving.

Nope insurance see it that a DR10 is a DR10 won't matter if you only blew 41 you've been banned for drink driving and that's all that matters to them !. I couldn't get insured for nearly 2 years after my last ban soon as I said I'd been banned for drink driving and had a DR10 they wouldn't even quote let alone insure me and I tryed everywhere so what was a 21 month ban turned into 3 1/3 years in effect !.

Thanks for reply,Ive still got 4 months to go so im just testing the water.On top of that hefty fine I also lost my job and the Papers did a half page on it....and now the prospect of finding insurance Oh Joy....:(

Got banned last year when i was 19, blew 88 at the roadside, got charged with 80. Got banned for 12 months and a £250 fine. My ban is over, and i'm getting quoted £1900 for a 1.4 mk4 Astra. I had only been driving for 3 months when i got caught. I got the quote from Endsleigh.co.uk through MoneySuperMarket.com, and i hear Tesco are cheap too.

Thats cheered me up,will look Tesco for a quote thanks.
Wish I got the judge you had.I got done when I was over in Stornoway had to make the journey back (over night stay)ang got severly delt with....Will never go back there again :eek:

Going from what i've heard from other people, over 25's still get insurance pretty cheap after a drink drive conviction. Usually well below £1000. I think theres one guy on this website who is about 39, and has insurance on 2 cars (one was a 3 litre nissan pickup truck if i remember) and has insured the two for about £700. It's not all bad news after a conviction. Just don't bother with price-comparison sites.

Thats good to hear,Ive got to cars aswell and was worried that one of them would have to go....Feel a bit better now thanks for that info.
McT

Insurance related question. My ban ends in 3 weeks, still haven't applied for a license, will do it as soon as Christmas as over. The field on the webpage where they ask how long I have hold my driving license, a bit concerned what to put. I had it for 4 years by now but it was taken of me and I will have a new one eventually. So fo I put "over 3 years" ot "under 1 year"? It does make a significant difference in the price.
Also the length of the ban, do they need the actual ban length ot the reduced one after carrying out the course?
Thanks

Hi Bakkara,
Ive checked out loads of info since last post,When asked 'how long have you held a licence' the answer is from when you passed test.Also isurance companys do take the breath count into consideratin.I went on a comparison web site declared everything eg,DR10 blowing 55 and 18 month ban and Im actually cheaper than i was paying direct line before the ban.
Hope this helps,if you want more info please feel free to contact in private if you wish:)

Thanks McT! I was done for refuse to provide, so there is no reading in my case. So my insurance for Vaxhall Vectra 08 will cost only £500 as a second driver, can't believe it!

Great news...... glad for you m8. Its not as bad as some people will have you beleive.loads of my mates have been done and told me its not as bad as you think and right they are,spread the good news and lift the sprit (not the alcohol one) of others in our situation.
McT

I can't beleive it is almost over. It seemed that it would be ages before I am on the road again. I do really struggle without a car having to run to work and back to school every day LOL The only thing is the remaining criminal record which will still keep me off some activity. Children ask if I can join a group of volunteers at school but I have to keep finding exuses as the crb check is required((

Conviction sounds bad,but listen,Its NOT assault,burgalry,fraud,sex offence, theft,deception,drug dealing,murder,tax evation....I can go on and on.We made a mistake in our life that we all regret but its minor compared to others {as long as no one is injured)so lets get on with it as I do.The motorist is an big revinew for the government and an easy picking for the Police and the media as they treat us as bad as the above mentioned.
We all feel guilty for what we did,thats why we joined this forum to unite and exchage our mistake.
I think you may find that certain organisations will over look drink driving offences compaired with other others.

I do not really worry about the conviction at the moment but it was really bad when I was looking for a job as 90% of application forms have a questions about convictions. I was really lucky to get the job which I really like and they've never asked to fill any forms, only the cv was needed. Thanks for nice words!

The information discussed above made interesting reading. My ban ends in three weeks and I too have been looking at insurance quotes. I too have had an impeccable driving record for all my sixteen years of driving and it is frustrating being treated as a high risk by insurance companies. I tried out the comparison sites for a 1997 Peugeot 1.5 diesel and the results returned £230 third party fire and theft. With the drink driving conviction this was increased to in excess of £500 in most cases. When ticking the box that asks if you have a driving conviction, a separate section pops up asking five main questions: conviction code (DR10, etc.), fine, points, blood alcohol content (BAC) and ban duration. I fiddled with the information altering various vaues to see how they judged the offence. The fine amount and BAC were of no consequence but the ban time did have a striking effect on the insurance premiums. For example, my ban was for 14 months (reduced from 19 with the drink driving course) but if I dropped the '1' and made it 4 months, the premium dropped to £370.

I don't know how the system works and how much of this information is communicated between the courts, police and the insurance companies, but it did make a difference. For some people, it could be a difference of several hundred pounds and the difference between being able to afford to drive or not. I am not suggesting lying on the insurance forms but if an error did occur and I was pulled over at random by the police, would they put two and two together and say there was something wrong with my insurance?

This may be worth a discussion in itself.

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off