Car Insurance - Drink driver hit my car what now?

Convicted Driver Insurance

d1978

Last week a man off his face on booze, he was 4 times over the limit, came speeding down my road, smashed into my car and 2 others, mine is wrote off now as so badly damaged, i ran out and confronted him and he walked off i chased him and he got arrested by police, but he said to them he wasnt driving, well basically he said he was too drunk to know anything, he has had licence taken away before due to drink driving, what will happen to him, will he get away with it by saying he wasnt in the car at the time of crash, i have to do a id parade next wk, i am now out of pocket, as cant see his insurance paying out seeing as he denying driving :(

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Drink driver hit my car what now?

some insurance companies do pay out in the event that the driver was drink driving...........but certainly not all of them.

what may happen to him, will he get off because he is denying driving car, he has lost licence previously through same thing, i dont want him to get away with it as i have lost my car and my son is disabled so i need it, but dont want him getting away free

what may happen to him, will he get off because he is denying driving car, he has lost licence previously through same thing, i dont want him to get away with it as i have lost my car and my son is disabled so i need it, but dont want him getting away free

Whether or not he will be convicted of drink driving will depend on the evidence against him. The prosecution will need to prove that a) he was above the legal limit and b) that he was driving, attempting to drive or in charge of a vehicle while over the legal limit.

If he is convicted of driving with excess alcohol then it will have been proven that he was indeed driving the car. In this case you will be able to claim off his insurance for any damage to your property. All motor insurance policies will pay out for any damage or bodily injury caused to third parties that the insured is liable for, regardless of whether or not the insured driver was over the legal limit or not.

Section 145 of The Road Traffic Act 1988 states that any insurance policy "must insure such person, persons or classes of persons as may be specified in the policy in respect of any liability which may be incurred by him or them in respect of the death of or bodily injury to any person or damage to property caused by, or arising out of, the use of the vehicle on a road [or other public place] in Great Britain".

In the event he is not convicted because it cannot be proved that he was indeed driving the vehicle, then The Motor Insurers' Bureau provides compensation to people who are unable to pursue a valid insurance claim against another driver following a road traffic accident because the other party is either a) not insured b) not known/traceable or c) was insured by an insurance company who is now in liquidation.

Last edited:
i saw the driver and i chased him i have to go to the police station to point him out of some photos. he cut his mouth when he crashed the car, i saw him in the drivers seat tryin to drive off but was leading him to crash more into my car and others, there was about 6 people in the street that saw him, i am only one being asked to identify him, he was breathlised and was 3 and a half times over the limit, the police told me last nite that he hasnt said he didnt do it, he basically said he was too pissed to know anything from the night, so he saying he cant remember nothing, due to how much he drank.

Last edited:
Have you told the police that there were 6 other people in the street that saw the accident? You have a much bigger chance to get him to court if there are more witnesses confirming that he drove the car. Do you know if the guy has car insurance? Otherwise you can't be sure to see some money if he's proven guilty. Would be cool if you could let us know if the drunk guy will get the punishment he deserves and if you get the damage paid.

Last edited by a moderator:
police aware of how many people saw him, but no one saw him close up enough to pick him out in a ID parade, i was only one who got face to face, everyone just said what clothes etc he was wearing and where they think he lives, got his car insurance details from police, his insurance has already accepted liability for my neighbours car that he hit, but they are stallin on mine :O mine was worst hit. he is basically saying that he cant remember nothing from the night as was too drunk but he says he is sure he wasnt behind the wheel, but he was!!! they are takin his photo then i have to ID him and then it is up to the crown prosecution if there is enough evidence to take further

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off