Unusual Drug Test

Convicted Driver Insurance

hotmail

Hi All,

I need some assistance as I getting worried!

I got done for drink driving Sept 2016 blew 90 so was classed as a HRO, completed my medical to get my license back on 2nd May.

I have just received a letter from the DVLA stating I now need to go for another medical but this time a Urine test as I told the doctor I used cannabis in March.

As I have already completed a medical (Blood Sample) I am not sure why they are asking me now to complete another medical Urine sample when the DVLA has no legal limits for THC in Urine.

So why am I being asked to do this medical, how would they determine what to do next? Also they have my blood sample so why are they able not to just use that for a drug test?

Any advice would be grateful or if this has happened to anybody please let me know!

Thanks!!

It appears that the DVLA are now considering whether there is sufficient evidence to suggest that you have either misused or become dependent on any drug. That process is separate to the medical assessment as a high risk offender after a drink driving conviction. I would advise complying with any tests as failure to do so could result in your licence being revoked.

Hi Sean thanks for your response, of course I will comply with the test but what I am worried about is how they judge this based on the fact there is no legal limit for cannabis in urine.

So if they see any trace are they just going to ban me? How do they decide whether I am fit to drive?

Do you know how I can contact anyone at the dvla to give me more information?

The DVLA will not be assessing any legal limit as you suggest. They will asses what evidence they have by way of analysis of specimens to indicate a presence and by way of any explanation from your medical records to indicate any on-going use to consider whether they feel that you have a history of 'misuse' within the last 6 months. Misuse is a broad definition (deliberately so) and is difficult to pin down definitively to say how and what information is used to determine this. For that reason, any negative finding and subsequent decision to revoke may be challengeable. You can check the DVLA guidance on this here: https://www.gov.uk/guidance/drug-or-alcohol-misuse-or-dependence-assessing-fitness-to-drive

The DVLA will not be assessing any legal limit as you suggest. They will asses what evidence they have by way of analysis of specimens to indicate a presence and by way of any explanation from your medical records to indicate any on-going use to consider whether they feel that you have a history of 'misuse' within the last 6 months. Misuse is a broad definition (deliberately so) and is difficult to pin down definitively to say how and what information is used to determine this. For that reason, any negative finding and subsequent decision to revoke may be challengeable. You can check the DVLA guidance on this here: https://www.gov.uk/guidance/drug-or-alcohol-misuse-or-dependence-assessing-fitness-to-drive

Thanks Sean, so I guess that means they can ban me if they find any trace of cannabis in my urine. If this is the case do I have a legal route to get my license back?

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off