Boyfriend caught drink driving & driving without insurance

Convicted Driver Insurance
Hello.I need help for my boyfriend.He has been caught drink driving and without insurance.He had the breath test with 80mg in his breath and the police took him into custody that night.He has been released after few hours but now he will need to go to court on the 23 rd but until then we need to know what he could be facing.The problem is that we do not afford a solicitor so can wr ask somehow for an free one?And I would like to know what do you think he will be given aproximately how much disqualification will he face and how much fine if he doesn't work or he is not receiving any benefits as he was sick he is living with me so I pay the rent but I do not have a big income it is really low.And it is his first time caught drunk and driving and also with the insurance is the first time.If you can answer these questions I would be grateful thank you

Last edited by a moderator:
A reading of 80µg of alcohol per 100ml of breath means that your husband will face a ban of between 17 and 22 months alongside a fine or a community order. Any fine will be calculated based on your husband's means (starting point will be 150% of his net weekly pay). Given that there is an additional offence of driving without insurance it is likely that the offence will be considered to be an aggravated one where the penalty will be towards the higher end of the bracket. He is most likely at risk of a ban closer to 22 months and a community order.

You can look to obtain the help of a duty solicitor on the day but that is not always guaranteed. Representation will then be limited to basic instructions taken on the day. I would advise at least obtaining some positive character references, if possible, to hand to the court to assist with giving the court a wider picture of your husband's background.

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off