Drunk in charge of motor vehicle - kept license - what now?

Convicted Driver Insurance

bitofapratt

Hi there,

Today I went to court for a drink driving conviction (in charge whilst unfit through drink) - it was my first (and last!) drink driving charge. I pleaded guilty and my penalty was:

• 10 points on my license
  • £300 fine
  • No Disqualification

To be honest, I was very much expecting a ban - so this has more than surprised me.

I have three main questions:

• Do I have a criminal record now? And will I need to mention the above on job applications etc
  • Will my premiums go up in the same way if I had of been disqualified?

Appreciate any advice/response

Unlike drink driving, the separate offence of being drunk in charge of a vehicle does not carry a mandatory ban. However, where a ban is not imposed then a minimum of 10 points must be endorsed instead. You were lucky in that the court opted for the latter option in your case.

This is still a criminal conviction and record of this is made with the Disclosure and Barring Service. In other words, it amounts to a criminal record.

In circumstances where you are required to disclose any convictions then you must disclose this offence. By virtue of the imposition of penalty points, the offence is disclosable under the Rehabilitation of Offenders act for 5 years and this would include job applications asking if you have any convictions. After 5 years has passed from the date of the offence then the conviction becomes spent. However it could still be disclosed as part of an enhanced criminal record check even after 5 years has elapsed. You would also have to disclose it after 5 years if asked about spent convictions as well as unspent ones.

The impact the conviction will have on future motor insurance premiums is a commercial question for insurers and not a legal question. I am not able to say the extent to which the conviction will increase future premiums and this is likely to vary from insurer to insurer.

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off