Previous caution and conviction - Job involving schools

Convicted Driver Insurance

concernedperson

Hello,

I am in the process of interviewing for a job that will involve working in schools. This is more meetings with head teachers etc., and won't involve direct contact with students. I'm led to believe that my prospective employer uses DBS checks.

I have a conviction for driving under the influence of alcohol when I was 18, 9 years ago.
I also have a caution for possession of a very small amount of class A drugs at a music festival, 5 years ago.

Am i correct in thinking these will both show on a DBS check, as the conviction is less than 11 years ago, and the caution less than 6?

If this is the case, would you advise I disclosure this in the event of a job offer? I suspect I may be asked directly on the 2nd interview anyway, and I imagine lying at this stage would likely lead to dismissal when the test results came back in 2-3 months.

Any information much appreciated, especially regarding employers' typical attitudes to a situation such as this.

The rehabilitation period under the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act (i.e the time it takes before a conviction becomes "spent") is determined by the punishment that you receive. An offence for which you receive a fine is one year. An offence for which you are disqualified from driving is the length of the disqualification.
the 11 year period that drink driving offences remain on your licence for is something different to the rehabilitation period. Drink driving offence remain on your licence for 11 years because of the rule that a second drink driving conviction within 10 years carries a mandatory 3 year ban.

Cautions are spent after 3 months.

More information in rehabilitation periods can be found here.

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off