Drink Drive Record and Visa

Convicted Driver Insurance

kevinranxia

Hi,

I was convicted drink driving in July 2014 and then left UK, now I need to obtain a visa to enter UK for a business visit.
A breath test was conducted and I was within the first band (lowest) level of alcohol and was sentenced a 1-year disqualification and 200 pounds fine.

I had consulted a solicitor after the court and he said I do not need to mention the conviction in the visa application after 2 years from the court. Not knowing whether it has changed during the past years, I just had a look up on the web sometimes it says for a decision with fine it could be spent after 5 years. Now it is just over 2 years from my conviction, do I still have to mention it in the visa application now?
When it says 'spent', is this criminal record removed (I don't think so)? do I need to mention it when applying visas for other countries (such as US)?

Thank you for your time, it is quite hard to find a precised answer for these questions...

What you have to declare will depend upon the requirements of a visa. If they are simply asking whether you have a criminal conviction within a certain time frame then you would only have to disclose the relevant convictions. However if they are asking for any unspent or spent convictions then you will have to declare this. Please find a link confirming rehabilitation periods here: https://www.gov.uk/government/uploa...data/file/216089/rehabilitation-offenders.pdf

I cannot specifically advise regarding any visa applications and this would arguably be more of an immigration issue that one relating to motoring law.

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off