Failing to provide help

Convicted Driver Insurance

c191

Hi, I hope someone can give me some advice here. I was out one night 24th April 2016 when I got home and decide I wanted to take a visit to the popular local fast food chain restaurant. The restaurant is 400metres away from my home, I stupidly decided since it was such a short distance and they only serve drive through past midnight I’d get in my car.

I proceeded through the drive through where I placed order and was asked to wait in bay for meal. I felt something was up due to the wait, so I got out my car and proceeded to enter the restaurant however police quickly pulled up and I was stopped.

They identified me as the driver by removing key from my pocket and pressing remote central locking. I assume the staffs of restaurant confirm this too!

Anyway I was asked to do road side test of which I first blew a high reading, not sure exact, followed by a fail.

I was arrested and taken back to police station to provide a sample there. I don’t know why but I always thought if you put a coin in your mouth you blow a lower reading so I proceeded to do the tests with a coin in my mouth. Both tests failed to give a reading, and I was told failing to provide was an offence in itself and was held in custody.

I was due to be in magistrate’s court 5 weeks after the arrest. In this time I took professional advice on which I was to expect the minimum due to myself having, No previous convictions, first driving offence, and clean licence for 9+ years, not aggressive towards police, no damage caused, good character, and good job and maybe for the short distance. I also pleaded guilty at the first opportunity however my case was made up for a not guilty plea? Possibly being fully cooperative with police however I failed to provide I don’t know if this would be against that could be in my favour also. However I was advised to just use the duty solicitor on the day as the outcome will be the same.

I understand what I did was shameful, could have be worse and I can’t begin to put in to words how remorseful I am. It was a sheer act of stupidity on my behalf. I fully take responsibility for my actions and deserve to be punished.

I have attended court and below is the following outcome;

1. 3 year driving ban + HRO to the DVLA

2. 18 Month suspended sentence

3. High level community order consisting of 16 week curfew (electronic monitoring)

4. Rehabilitation programme

5. £200 fine including fees, surcharges etc.

I know I deserve to be punished for my actions however it seems the district judge who was in court really threw the book at me. My partner’s farter has worked within traffic police as a sergeant for 20+ years and has never seen such sentence for a first time offence and has seen people who were worse on several occasions come off more lightly. Everyone I speak to thinks I’m joking or that is a bit too harsh and have been made and example of. I have search on this website on similar cases and it seems where there have been aggravating factors such as damage to property of collisions then people have been served the same if not less. I understand that I should be punished but I am a good character and have always been on the right side of the law. I feel physically sick and can’t put food down due to the fact of just missing being locked up for x amount of months. This has forced me to cancel a pre-paid holiday to the USA assuming I could have went on a 1 DUI charge but I cannot now as I have a suspended sentence and a community order. My partner, an innocent person in this case has lost money due to this. (Of course I will reimburse that).

This one act of stupidity has really had some server consequences, and has cost £5,800 so far all for a stupid burger!

I have read and understand the sentencing guidelines used by magistrates (in my case district judge) for fail to provide specimen for analysis (drive/attempt to drive). From my sentence it is obvious the district judge has went to the top of the scale and use deliberate refusal or deliberate failure where evidence of serious impairment. ‘Serious impairment ‘was justified by district judge from my action of putting my card on the wrong place on the card reader whilst making a contactless payment (something I would probably do sober).

From this the judge initially spoke about 12 weeks custody at this point I felt hot and almost collapsed but was reduced to the high level community order and 18 month suspended sentence and maximum length of ban. Using the table and columns, in small print it states, ‘starting point based on first time offender pleading not guilty’ however I pleaded guilty?

After exiting the court and speaking to the duty solicitor, who was, as well as myself, in shock at the sentence said I have the right to appeal that. I spoke to my partner farther who was astonished, shocked and furious with the outcome and the justice system and also went back to the solicitor who has also told me to appeal against the sentence.

I by no means have any intention to get out of some kind of punishment but would like it reduced. I’m guilty deliberate failure however I don’t see how failing to place my card in the right place on the contactless card reader is evidence of serious impairment, due to the fact its relatively new technology, ‘contactless’ so there is no specific point I always thought you just hold near it or over it so doing this could be carried out by myself impaired or not impaired.

Can anyone advise, reference or elaborate on what is classed as evidence of serious impairment? Also as the evidence of card reader action is in the statement of staff stating there is no CCTV footage of this it would be their word against mine? Only CCTV footage that identifies me as the driver is myself getting out the car when parked up and walking over to the restaurant.

I have a solicitor gathering the evidence and reviewing the case, however, after being re-assured from solicitors and other professional people working within law that I should expect the minimum and no need for legal support, I don’t know who to trust and what to believe here. I really don’t want to appeal to stand up in crown court where my sentence could be increased and face jail time, magistrate’s court was daunting enough. I understand that a judge would speak to the solicitor before the hearing and possibly say ‘I advise your client to re consider’ and can withdraw my appeal prior to entering but this is a scary thought, and I really would like to avoid all media to myself due to career.

I don’t know whether to take this on the chin and sit the curfew out. I don’t imagine myself getting on the wrong side of the whilst carrying out a 18 month suspended sentence however I don’t want to feel I’m walking on egg shells and scared to go anywhere incase I do something minor like litter or my dog poo’s and get sent to jail.

It is certainly a very severe sentence for a first time offender.

I would find it highly questionable that anyone could determine serious impairment on the basis of placing a card on the wrong place for a contactless payment. However one thing I would very much draw to your attention is the possibility that the roadside test obtained an initial reading. If your case was prepared as a not guilty plea the prosecution may well have provided a copy of the MGDD/A form. If you have this I would advise looking at section A3 of the form, if a reading was obtained it will be noted there. If this particularly high it may well explain the severity of the sentence imposed by the judge. If so I would advise discussing this with your solicitor. Even if you provide an incomplete specimen on the evidential breathalyser, this will often record partial readings which will be shown at the bottom of the printout. Again if these are particularly high it may account for the sentence imposed.

However if no reading is recorded (some initial tests simply register a pass or fail) then it seems very odd for the judge to have made this assessment on what appears to be very limited information.

You are correct in saying that the Court can increase as well as decrease the sentence. Based upon the information provided I would find it highly unlikely for the Court to increase the sentence imposed as it is already very severe.

There are also several points that can be raised in mitigation such as the short distance that you drove, the impact that the disqualification, community order etc. is having on you and anyone else who is adversely affected. You should also have been given a 33% reduction in respect of your community order/custodial sentence for pleading guilty at the first hearing. This is not applicable to the disqualification as this is classed as an ancillary order. I also presume that you were not given an 18 month suspended sentence but rather a custodial sentence of several weeks, suspended for 18 months? The maximum custodial sentence that can be imposed in the Magistrates Court is 6 months.

She based the serious impairment on the ground of the card being placed over the buttons instead of reader. I was shocked myself how this is justified as serious impairment. Even then, they have no hard evidence proving this as the statement clearly says there is no CCTV footage of me driving through the drive through its just word from staff.

They stated the obvious reasons in statements such as galzed eyes, slurred speech and un steady on feet but this seems to be the general clobber put down in these situation judging by my partners father’s ‘yeah yeah’ reaction.

I haven’t the evidence with me as the solicitor is requesting it from the court so cannot see the reading in section A3.

I do hold my hands up as guilty and I was drunk driving however it just seems fairly harsh and I’ve been made an example of. It gives me great anxiety to be up in the stands again it was a terrifying experience which I do not wish to do again, but I feel I have been sentenced unfairly based on the grounds of what other people have received with greater aggravating factors.

There were no real factors of mitigation brought up on my behalf from the duty solicitor other than being self-employed, good character and first offence as she didn’t really think this type of sentence was ever going to happen.

Yes I was given several weeks custodial sentence I believe its 12 weeks as the starting point, suspended by 18 months. Is that different to a suspended sentence? This gives me the probation period of 16 weeks on curfew.

the case was also prepared for non guilty plea however I never stated I was pleading not guilty. I told the usher this as soon as she told me on the day that I'm pleading guilty.
She switched me to guilty court however the non guilty court became available towards end of day so was transferred to get the hearings out the way. There was a district judge.
My duty solicitor said this sentance wouldn't be a severe if we went in the other court which I was mean to be in! well that was a kick in the teeth!
Why can't they up my fine to £2000 and remove this tag! worst situation of my life

I would advise speaking to your solicitor about the MGDD/A form and whether there is any time frame for this being provided. Once you are in receipt of this you can of course review the relevant sections and see if any preliminary or partial readings have been recorded. If so, and these are above 120 in breath, then the sentence imposed by the Court can be justified (albeit the sentence may still be reduced on appeal).

It is still a suspended sentence, however in terms of the wording it is a sentence suspended for 18 months rather than an 18 month suspended sentence (the latter would be an 18 month custodial sentence that has been suspended).

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off