Inquiry after Drink Driving

Convicted Driver Insurance

Soultrain

Dear Sir,

I wanted to ask your advice with regards to my run in with the law yesterday. Following a stop by the police I blew 41 and 42 at the Station. I've never been convicted of anything before in my life. I understand the driving ban is 12 months and a fine.

Currently I am a visiting academic from Germany with a time based contract until the End of January. Without a car I will not be able to find meaningful employment in the UK and will not be able to sustain my family with a two year old girl and a pregnant wife. I understand that everyone has the same sob story, but under what circumstances would mitigation be considered?

A second question is: if my family and I move back to Germany in January without receiving employment here I would still be banned until May/June 2018. How do I get my EU License back from the court, so that I can at least use it in Germany?

Many thanks! Great forum and advice that I have read so far.

For clarity, the Court have the option to sentence you to a 12-16 month disqualification, there will also be a fine imposed which is calculated on your level of income. As your reading is towards the lower end of this bracket then you are likely to receive the minimum 12 month disqualification, although it is not guaranteed. You are also likely to be offered the opportunity to attend the drink drive rehabilitation course which would reduce the length of disqualification by up to 25% upon completion. Therefore the minimum period of disqualification that you could serve would be 9 months.

Mitigation should certainly be presented to the Court, however I'm afraid that the most this can achieve is to minimise the disqualification to the level set out above.

For your EU licence, the correct form that should be followed by the Court is for you to surrender your driving licence. If you are leaving the Country you can then apply to have it returned as you are not disqualified from driving in Germany. If you come back into the Country they should then again request that your licence is surrendered whilst you are disqualified.

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off