Failed without reasonable excuse to provide a sample of breath roadside & at station

Convicted Driver Insurance

thebillster

Failed without reasonable excuse to provide a sample of breath roadside & at station

Hi, I trust this finds you well. Here goes. I am currently signed off sick with stress related illness, and am being treated by GP for insomnia, mild depression and anxiety. Left local pub having just finished a pint of cider at 10.20 pm and pulled over outside a former residence after driving half a mile up the road with no incident, to turn on my bluetooth car kit. Immediately flashed up by the police. Wound down my window and was informed by a uniformed police officer that they had reason to believe I had been drinking alcohol, and requested I do a roadside breath test. Here's the rub. I was only aware of one other person that this had happened to, which was the father of my best man, who was pulled over many years ago whilst running a chauffeur company, failed badly at roadside but was exonerated by being well under with a subsequent blood test at the Police Station. His advice was "Don't trust the breathalyzer, you'll have to go to the station, but the blood test is best and more clinical as my results showed". As a result I refused the roadside, confirmed I'd drunk a pint of cider and requested that I give a blood sample, however was denied this by the PC as "not your choice" which made sense roadside, and was taken to the Police Station, and booked in. I was subsequently brought to a room in the station to take another breath test, whilst I continued to request a blood sample. Procedurally there were issues with the officers use of the breath technology, in that they were struggling to get the device working, which gave me no further confidence in the breathalyzer at all, and I continually requested that they please take my blood. Again I was formally requested to use the breathalyzer, and when I refused as I thought I'd made it clear that I wished to have my blood tested, the response was "You've just made my job very easy, it's not your choice", which conflicted with the advice I'd had from my friend's Dad and essentially that was it. The next morning again they came in with a breathalyzer, which again I refused asking the chap why can't they take my blood, to which he replied that it was too late and this test was "non-evidential". I was charged for failing twice to provide a sample without a reasonable excuse, and am on magistrates bail until the 7th of June. Is it best to plead guilty as I obviously didn't provide a breath sample due to my misunderstanding of what could be done, and offer special reasons for avoiding disqualification, as I am a single Dad of 3 for broadly 50% of the time after 4 years of family law litigation plus need a car for work when the Dr is happy for me to return, or can one request a stay before pleading of 30 days to get legal advice under the human rights act as I am facing a Tier 1 Tax Tribunal on the 16th of May for 2 weeks (hence the stress related illness) and cashflow is maxed due to a £30k payment to my ex-wife as part of a consent order to end the marriage, request/examine the CCTV breathalyzer footage and consider whether there is a procedural issue one can use as a defence worthy of pleading not guilty, as frankly I consider myself guilty of the charge as didn't comply due, but was not a barrier to being tested, just ignorant of the fact that it wasn't up to me how I was tested unless I'd given a breath sample in the first place (ah the benefit of hindsight), plus I have no previous history so a first time offence, currently no points and no other parties were involved or there was a suggestion of erratic driving by the police and so forth please?

Re: Failed without reasonable excuse to provide a sample of breath roadside & at stat

To clarify, I'm afraid that a special reasons plea can only be advanced in relation to the circumstances of the offence rather than an individuals personal situation. For example having driven a very short distance (typically no more than 200 metres or so) or driving due to an emergency. Issues that would be caused by a disqualification cannot amount to special reasons.

The police are also correct in saying that it is their choice as to whether they offer a blood specimen and this is now only done very rarely. If they have requested specimens of breath from you and you have refused on the basis you wanted to provide blood instead, then on the face of it you are guilty of the offence. It is possible that you could enter a not guilty plea which would enable you to obtain prosecution evidence and review this to see if there are any issues. However they key test will almost certainly be whether you had a reasonable excuse for failing to provide the specimen of breath. It is also worth bearing in mind that a reasonable excuse is determined by the Court and they are normally quite restrictive as to what is capable of amounting to this.

Based upon the information below I expect that you would fall into the lowest sentencing bracket of the Magistrates guidelines. This is for instances where a defendant has refused the test due to an honestly held but unreasonable belief. I believe that this would be applicable in light of your reasons for failing to provide the specimens of breath. This advises a 12-16 month disqualification and a Band C fine which is calculated based upon your level of income. The Court are also likely to offer you the opportunity to attend the drink drive rehabilitation course which would reduce the length of your disqualification by up to 25%.

Re: Failed without reasonable excuse to provide a sample of breath roadside & at stat

Hi Sean. Thanks ever so for coming back to me. In your considered opinion upon a guilty plea, then, there is no way I can I can attempt the 10 points penalty instead of total ban for 12-16? Devastating impact obvs, kids to school, job etc...

I'm afraid that there is a minimum 12 month disqualification for failing to provide a specimen when you have been driving a vehicle. It is only if you were accused of being drunk in charge of a vehicle that 10 points may be an option for the Court.

OK. Oh well. Hearty thanks for all your help Sean and all the very best to you and yours.

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off