Monumental Error

Convicted Driver Insurance

gotcaught16

Made a huge mistake. Got lazy and decided to drive home instead of waiting for a taxi. Wrote off my car and blew a 181 at roadside. I know that a custodial sentence will definitely be considered but is there a high chance that this will be the outcome?

I'm about to turn 23 and have never had any previous convictions or arrests for anything driving related or other.

Thanks for any help you can give me.

Forgot to clarify. The write off was against a curb + sign, no other cars were involved in the incident and I was the only person in my vehicle. I was fully compliant from the start with the police and hopefully that will help me?

I understand that your reading was 181 at the roadside, however did you then provide 2 specimens at the police station? If so please can you confirm what the lower of these 2 readings was?

In respect of the likely sentence, 181 in breath is a very high reading. The Magistrates guidelines only cover readings up to 150 in breath and even for these the Court are advised to consider a custodial sentence. With your reading being so high my initial view is that a custodial sentence is the likely outcome but it is by no means a certainty. I recently acted for someone in a similar position who had extensive mitigation and the Court imposed a community order.

Because of the severity of the matter I would strongly advise obtaining legal representation. As you are at risk of custody you may be eligible for legal aid, dependant upon your level of income. If this is something you wish to investigate I would advise contacting a local solicitors firm and discussing this with them. If you are ineligible for legal aid or you wish to look at instructing someone privately you are welcome to contact my office on 0333 999 7158.

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off