The Medical - worried after 3yr Ban....

Convicted Driver Insurance

JamesDrinkDrives

Hello,

I've been trying not to panic or worry but I just cant help it.

I'm 4 weeks away from completing my 3yr ban (been to prison - did community service - lost job etc etc)

All good now as i'm seeing the light at the end of the tunnel BUT this medical is bothering me.

Throughout the past 12 months i've maintained my usual drinking habits which realistically are 2 nights a week (Sat & Wed) where I can drink around 25 units so combined per week around 40 to 50 units. Which is approx 7 units per day across 7 days... I dont drink on any other days - in my 20's, healthy and fit.

Anyway... - the last time I had more than 4 units was on the 24th of Jan 2015. Since then i've had very little (small bottle of beer 1.2 units here and there).

I now have 4 weeks before my ban is completed and the medical is booked for early March.

I know 100% im not dependent - BUT with the previous drinking I was doing i'm really not sure whether ill pass the medical...

Two questions:

In your experience am I likely to pass?
On what grounds may I make an appeal?

Thank you in advance,

J.

Based on the length of time between your medical and the time you have reduced your drinking I do not believe the medical results are likely to be an issue, however this is only an initial indication from my experience and the results may pick up on your previous drinking habits. One other issue you may face is if you have discussed your drinking habits with your GP. The DVLA will almost certainly speak to your GP before deciding whether to return your licence and if they inform the DVLA of your previous drinking I would expect the DVLA to refuse your application on the basis of persistent misuse of alcohol. This is different to dependency as they are not alleging that you are an alcoholic, but that you are persistently drinking too much.

It would be very difficult to appeal such a decision as the weekly guideline for alcohol consumption is no more than 21 units. Based on your post it seems that you have been drinking approximately double this amount for an extended period of time. Should the DVLA make this decision then you would need to show a period of 6 months controlled drinking or complete abstinence before your licence could be returned.

Thank you for your reply.

I have made an appointment with the Practice Manager at my GP's Surgery to go through my medical notes this week (Recommend this to people - as you may not remember what you discussed in passing during any consultations you've had)

I get the impression most people believe that the DVLA will only write to your GP if your CDT blood/urine results come back as close to or over the limit. This is not the case - they ALWAYS write to your GP as part of the process.

Thinking back, I know that I've mentioned my drinking habits as part of various visits to the GP. It's a common question they ask in relation to your lifestyle along with suggestions on eating healthily, exercising etc so I expect most may see a mention of this in their notes.

I don't think it's looking good for me - but thank you once again for your reply - you provide a great deal of invaluable advice and support to everyone here.

All the best,

J.

Just a quick update:

Spoke to the DVLA Med. Group who confirmed "yes, they would normally write to your GP as part of the application process" - so i get the impression it's standard these days.

However a combination of things such as...:

• Reading of blood / breath at time of ban (1st ban reading:86 / most recent 2nd: 56)
  • CDT Results
  • Yes / No answers on the medical form

...Would ultimately be the biggest influencing factors.

I am aware of applications which have been refused solely on the grounds of the information provided by a GP. This is not to say that it will happen with your application but you should prepare yourself for the possibility. It will also be relevant when you last spoke to your GP about your drinking habits, if this was some time ago the DVLA may not have any evidence of recent drinking if the CDT test comes back clear.

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off