Driving licence revoked (2 bans, 1 year temporary licence)

Convicted Driver Insurance

mattridge

Hi Sean,
I was banned in 2005 and 2008 for drink driving, I was further banned for driving whilst disqualified in 2011. After my ban was up (June 2013), I reapplied for my licence, had a medical which I passed, and was given a licence for a year. (Licence was issued Jan 2014) I have obviously had to reapply for it now. During the past year I decided to face my alcohol demons head on once and for all, therefore I spent 28 days in The Priory on an alcohol rehabilitation programme. When I reapplied for my licence, I was honest about this and stated that I had been to The Priory for alcohol problems. I have now had a letter saying that my licence has been refused. I am furious! Without my licence, I cannot attend the aftercare meetings which are an hours drive away, I cannot attend regular AA meetings and I am unable to do my job... Basically, the fact that I sought help for the issue that caused the initial two bans, is now being held against me and not only that, it is undermining my continued sobriety. It states that I can appeal to a magistrates court, but is there any hope of me getting this decision overturned? I will happily attend a medical at my expense, I know I will pass this with flying colours so I have no objection to that whatsoever. It is almost as if I am being penalised for getting help. The letter states "The law prohibits the licencing of drivers who persistently misuse either alcohol or drugs". (At this rate, everybody under 30 who goes out on the town every saturday night will get the same response!)
Am I in a position to appeal and actually get anywhere? And if so, what is the cost of an appeal? Many thanks in advance for your help.

The requirement for you to satisfy the DVLA's medical guidelines is that you must have abstained from alcohol use for a period of 6 or 12 months. If the DVLA believe that you have been dependant upon alcohol, then it will be 12 months, if there is evidence of persistent misuse then it will be 6 months. If you have done so then I would advise writing to the DVLA to explain this and inviting them to contact your GP or the priory who would also be able to verify this. It may be the case that if the DVLA have become aware you have recently attended the priory, they have mistakenly concluded that this is as a result of recent alcohol misuse/dependency rather than an attempt to deal with the underlying issues.

However if you have been dependant on, or persistently misused alcohol within the last 12 or 6 months respectively, then the DVLA's decision will stand until the necessary period of abstinence has been completed.

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off