Worried Sick Student Nurse!

Convicted Driver Insurance

elt9287

At the weekend i went to a friends house and had 3 drinks, i did not feel drunk at all and as i gave it a little time before driving i genuinely believed i would be below the limit. Unfortunately whilst driving home through dark country roads i caught the back of a parked vehicle, nobody was injured but my car being very old would not restart so the people whos car i hit called the police. I was taken to the police station as i showed as over the limit and i was tested again there here my reading was 65. Not even double the legal limit, which i know is still wrong and i am aware of my mistake and misjudgement. I have to attend court in 3 weeks and i know that i will receive a fine and ban but what i am more concerned about if the fact that i am in my final year training to be a nurse and due to finish in September. I am worried sick that i am not going to be able to finish my course and fulfill my lifelong dream of becoming a nurse. I know it is my own fault and i shouldnt have been so stupid but it was a genuine mistake that i have no got to deal with for the rest of my life. I went straight to my university and told them exactly what has happened to which they advised would go in my favour as i had done the best possible thing by telling them myself straight away. They have informed me that until i have been to court they are not able to make a decision regarding me continuing on the course. I also work for a healthcare agency around my university course which i know i will not be able to continue doing without a licence so i know i will lose my job. I have been driving for 10 years and currently have a clean driving licence, well for the next three weeks at least and have never been arrested or in trouble with the police for anything in the past. Wil all of these factors go in my favour in court? People keep telling me they will take into account that i am a student nurse and a good person and this is my first offence but i cant help thinking the worst and thinking the court willl be thinking as a student nurse i should know better and be even more harsh on me. Also being a student i have little income, this will be even less once i am banned from driving and no longer to work. Am i able to get any help with solicitors costs because of this? I really dont know where to begin as i have never been in a situation like this before so any help or advice you can give me would be greatly appreciated. Im that worried and stressed im struggling to eat and sleep and im so scared of being kicked off my uni course and the impact that may have on my health and my whole life. Thank you in advance!

The sentencing guidelines for a reading of 65 in breath advise a 17-22 month disqualification and a Band C, means tested fine. You are likely to be offered the drink driving rehabilitation course as well which will reduce the length of the disqualification by up to 25% upon completion. I would definitely advise that you explain your previous good character to the Court and the potential impact that this disqualification may have on your profession and education.

From the brief information provided you may well pass the means aspect of the test for legal aid. However the Court's are very reluctant to grant this in any case where there is no risk of a loss of liberty, e.g. a custodial sentence, because of this I would not expect you to be eligible for legal aid. There will however be a duty solicitor at Court on the day who can assist you with the case and may be able to represent you in the hearing depending on what other cases are in Court.

This offence may cause academic fitness to practise proceedings to be instigated and may also be referred over to your regulator, presumably the NMC. Whether they will decide to take any action regarding this matter will be dependant on the facts of your case.

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off