Rehabilitation and Employment

Convicted Driver Insurance

MinnieDriver

Hello, I wondered if you could help me with a few questions.

I was convicted of drink driving at the end of September 2013- I was fined £150.00 and disqualified for a year but reduced to 9 months on completion of the DDRC, which I have done. With all this in mind and considering the new legislation of the ROA, am I right in thinking my conviction becomes spent at the end of September 2014?

The DR10, however confuses me. Is this classed as an endorsement, even though the Court did not mention any penalty points? I realise it stays on the licence for 11 years in case of re-offending, but does this affect the rehabilitation period or not? With this in mind, would my conviction become spent after a year at the end of September 2014 or would it not be until 5 years (September 2018) due purely to the DR10?

Finally, do I have an obligation to tell my employer about my unspent conviction if they do not ask about it? I have been prepared to tell them for quite some time but during the entire recruitment process it has not come up on any forms or in my offer of employment or contract. If they were to carry out a DBS check later would they be able to dismiss me on the basis of dishonesty, even though they haven't asked? My role would be paralegal so I am unsure if it is also in the exception category (to the ROA) but my feeling is that this only applies to solicitor/lawyer roles and those involving vulnerable members of the public (my job role would be in conveyancing)?

Sorry to ask for so much information but I have both researched online and called helplines and nothing seems certain and nobody seems to know, and I am panicking that if I hand in my notice at my current job I may regret it.

Thank you for your help

Regards

I'm afraid the amendments to the ROA have not had any effect on Motoring offences, as such the rehabilitation period for drink driving is still 5 years.

Your employers cannot accuse you of dishonesty if they do not ask you about any previous convictions. You cannot of course lie to them or deliberately mislead them but if you aren't asked then you do not have an obligation to disclose the information to them. If your job role were a protected class then they would certainly ask about previous convictions and would carry out a CRB check.

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off