Job Application

Convicted Driver Insurance
I was disqualified for drink driving 26 years ago. I blew 43 and received a one year disqualification and a £200 fine. I had a clean licence prior to this and haven't been prosecuted for any offence since.
I have therefore had a clean licence for 15 years since the DR10 was removed.
Recently I applied to be a bus driver however, I was informed that they won't take any driver who
has been disqualified at any time in the past even if it was 26 years ago.
I have been driving for 39 years and have never had an accident.
I therefore realise that a clean licence after clearing the 11 year DR10 isn't worth
the paper it's written on.
I also realise that a 39 year accident free driving record isn't worth anything either.
Recently I read in the press that all criminal records pertaining to minor offences that didn't
result in a custodial sentence are to be wiped. However, the press articles never said when this
was going to happen. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

You may enjoy some protection from the Rehabilition of Offenders Act 1974 which sets out the rules about what offences have to be disclosed and when, and when previous convictions become "spent" and non-disclosable. However, you have to be very clear about whether this Act applies in your case or not.
Check whether the application form or process refers to the Rehabilition of Offenders Act or not.

I would recommend that you take advice from the country's leading legal expert on this subject, Mike Pemberton. He has written an informative blog about criminal conviction disclosure disputes which is worth a read. I suggest you call and speak to Mike or one of his team for more specific advice tailored to your case.

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off