Applying for license return following disqualification.

Convicted Driver Insurance

Smudger

Good Morning,

I was disqualified from driving on March 22nd 2011 for a period of 26 months following an accident. At the scene I recorded 148 which reduced to 115 when tested at the police station a couple of hours later. I drank post accident (dont ask me why) however the court did not accept this hence the disqualification. I am also an amputee and it is my belief (and other medical experts that I have spoken to since) that this skewed the subsequent countback readings by an independant body that produced evidence to the court due to my body mass being less. This was also rebuked. I had no alternative but to accept the court's punishment as I couldn't afford to persue an appeal via the Crown court. In addition to my disqualification I was put on probation for 18 months, ordered to complete 200 hours community payback, ordered to undertake a drink impaired drivers course and fined £350, all of which were completed in accordance with the order and without incident.

I am now in the process of applying to get my license back however I have hit a potential problem and would appreciate some advice. I am a recovering alcoholic and have recently completed an 18 week residential rehabilitation programme. During the programme I was breath tested at least twice per day and gave random urine samples at least weekly and often more frequently; all of which were recorded as negative. I have been totally abstinant since early October and undertook a self reduction regieme in the lead up to entering the programme.

Unfortunately there is only a yes/no question on the driving license application form in regard to alcohol dependancy and I fear that my application would be rejected at the first hurdle. I want to be honest but I literally can't afford for my application to be rejected. My rehabilitation programme has a two year aftercare facility and public transport simply doesn't run at times that I will need to attend. I appreciate any guidance that you can give me.

It may be best to enclose a letter explaining this and providing some form of evidence from the company that has run this scheme. If the DVLA reject your licence application then we could look at appealing the decision.

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off