drink driving

Convicted Driver Insurance

MaryO

On Saturday evening, I was arrested. I was taken to the police station and the breath test was 91 microgrammes of alcohol in 100 millileteres of breath. I have pleaded guilty to the charge of drive motor vehicle when alcohol level above limit. I have been bailed to appear at Court on 21/02/13 at 9.45. It is my first ever offence, I have only ever even spoken to a police officer once before in my life and I'm now 49. At the time of the incident, I was suffering from depression and severe stress and I got in my car to go to help my elderly Mum who has Altzheimers and needed my help. I had drunk some vodka and coke at home prior to driving and had put more vodka into a half filled bottle of coke to drink when I reached my Mum's as I intended to stay with her that evening. Very stupidly, I consumed this prior to reaching my Mum's, and on getting out of my car, her neighbour saw me, smelt alcohol on me, called the police and I was arrested within 7 minutes of entering my Mum's property. I complied fully with the police at all times, provided my statement after spending 6.5 hours in a cell, during which time I sobered up. I fully accept my guilt of the offence, it was a moment of complete madness on my part and I am deeply ashamed of myself. I am terrified that I will be sent to prison despite the arresting officer reassuring me that this will not happen. I am more than happy to hand over my licence, accept and pay any fine imposed and do any rehabilitation/ community order course offered by the court. No punishment that they give will be greater than how I am punishing myself. My question is...is it likely I will be sent to prison and if not, what can I expect to happen regarding a fine etc. Please can you advise me.
Many thanks
Mary

The Magistrates sentencing guidelines advise a 23-28 month disqualification and a community order so it is unlikely that they will impose a custodial sentence. Any fine that the Court impose will be means tested and can be paid in installments if necessary.

There is mitigation that can be put to the Court to try and minimise the length of the disqualification and the severity of the community order, if you would like to discuss this please call my office on 0845 002 0736.

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off