Insurance after Belgium Drink Drive Conviction

Convicted Driver Insurance

Pete

Hi

I am after some advice regarding motor insurance after a Belgium Drink drive conviction. I have been an official resident of Belgium for the past 9 years and am soon returning officially to the UK. In 2012 I was convicted of an offence from 2011 where I was driving under the influence of alcohol which resulted in a one month driving ban (2 weeks at the time of the offence and the remaining 2 weeks after the court decision), a fine, paying all court costs and having to pay and undertake a medical and psychological test to ensure I was fit to drive (total cost to me approx 1800Euros). All of these were paid/completed and my licence returned after the second two week ban. I should note at this point that my licence is a UK licence and in Belgium you do not get any points, codes etc on your licence, instead a criminal conviction is stored on the police database for 5 years.

My question now is regarding insurance, primarily motor insurance. I understand that all convictions have to be declaed for all insurance types. However, does this aply to convictions from abroad. If so, when requesting car insurnace quotes online in preperations for my return to the UK, if I state I have a conviction it asks for the DVLA code. My licence is 100% clean as the offence took place in Belgium, the DVLA have no idea this occurred.

For a new job in the UK, I have declared as part of a required security clearace my drink drive offence but do I have to declare it to UK insurers? If so, how will they treat the inconsitency of having a clean licence with a 2012 DUI conviction. Who do insurance companies use to check for convictions?

I thank you for any advice as I cannot find any information online that would help me.

I'm afraid that only an insurance company would be able to advise on whether they would require disclosure of a conviction out side of the UK, this information should be contained in any terms and conditions they have and will be exclusive to each company.

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off