First Offence - 58 mg Alcohol

Convicted Driver Insurance

Bastille

Firstly, i would appreciate any help here.

On Friday evening I had been out for a meal, had a bottle of wine (to share) and a pint of lager. I knew I would be risking it, but stupidly I drove anyway.

I got to a roundabout, (30 seconds from my front door) hit some ice and span into a sign post. The car was damaged as I think the drive shaft had gone into the gear box, and it wouldn’t allow me to change gear.

After getting out, I looked at the damage, and decided to go home and try to get my friend to move the car, bad decision mk II. The police found me at my house, where I didn't deny anything, I admitted I was the driver and that I had been drinking. They didn't breathalyse me on the spot, but cuffed me and did it at the station. I blew 58 and 63 respectively.

What sort of punishment am I looking at, and is there any advice I could be given?

I am expecting an 18 month ban, and a large fine as I left the scene.

My boss has been brilliant and has said that I can keep my job, and will re-locate me elsewhere in the office for a year, but anything more could mean I lose my job. I am a field sales rep, and drive across the country. I had, until now a clean license.

Any advice would be truly appreciated.

With a reading of 58 in breath the Magistrates sentencing guidelines indicate a 12-16 month ban. However you are at the top end of this range and with the aggravating factors of an accident as well as leaving the scene, it is possible that the Magistrates will sentence you in the higher bracket. There is mitigation that can be put forward to counter-act the aggravating features and hopefully keep the length of disqualification down.

If this is something that you would like to discuss in greater detail then please feel free to contact my office on 0845 002 0736 and ask to speak to Alex.

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off