First time DD charge - need advice

Convicted Driver Insurance

MatthewJF101

Last night I was charged with drink driving after being pulled over by the police for going through a red light. After failing a breath test I was taken to the station and charged with a court hearing in two weeks. I fully cooperated with the police from beginning to end, and I don't use the car for work purposes. THe police officer said I could expect a fine and my license suspended, however I want some legal advice of what to expect and how to proceed.

Other information;

- I got a reading of 55-57 on the alchohol meter at the station. (I have a copy of this)
- I have had no other offences (driving or otherwise) for the past 10 years.
- I have a clean license (if that helps)

Questions;
- I work in Finance and I am worried that this charge will come up on future CRB checks. What steps should I take?
- Do I need to declare this in my current job? - I am trying to keep collateral damage to a minimum here... I'm not even telling my parents or close friends (bar 1 or 2 who will give me references).

I feel like an idiot.. I hold my hands up and apologise, but at the same time I'm not going to let this ruin my career, life or relationships with friends.

Last edited:
The Magistrates sentencing guidelines advise a disqualification of 12-16 months for the breath reading you have provided, with good mitigation this can be kept down to the lower end of the range. As this is your first drink drive offence in the last 10 years then you should be offered the drink drive awareness course which will reduce the length of disqualification by up to 25%.

Unfortunately this conviction will show up on future CRB checks but whether you are obligated to inform your current employers is something that will be specified in your employment contract.

We would be happy to assist you in this matter and if you would like to discuss your case further then please feel free to give us a call on 0845 002 0736 and ask to speak to Alex.

The Magistrates sentencing guidelines advise a disqualification of 12-16 months for the breath reading you have provided, with good mitigation this can be kept down to the lower end of the range. As this is your first drink drive offence in the last 10 years then you should be offered the drink drive awareness course which will reduce the length of disqualification by up to 25%.

Unfortunately this conviction will show up on future CRB checks but whether you are obligated to inform your current employers is something that will be specified in your employment contract.

We would be happy to assist you in this matter and if you would like to discuss your case further then please feel free to give us a call on 0845 002 0736 and ask to speak to Alex.

Hi Sean,

Thanks for the advice. I will be giving your office a call as the court date is fast approaching. I was hoping I could get a one hour meeting to discuss mitigation?

I am based in central London.

Matthew

Hi Matthew,

If you would like to give the office a call then we can arrange a meeting to discuss your case and mitigation in greater detail.

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off