Need some advice

Convicted Driver Insurance

whattodo

Hi,

I was involved in an accident last night after making a stupid decision. The car journey was only a couple of miles, but I know I should have left the car in the car park. As I was stopped and indicating to turn into my road, another car coming towards me clipped my wheel and ended up crashing into the car behind me. The car behind me was being driven by my sober fiancée. After the police arrived, I blew 94 at the roadside and was taken to the police station to spend the night. At the station I blew 101, so that's the number they're using. I was also extremely tired and didn't know what to do, so I accepted responsibility when I was interviewed and didn't request a solicitor.

While I was at the roadside a couple of people came out of their houses and seemed to know the guy who clipped me. As far as I'm aware, no one was around at the time of the crash, but the police officer told me that two people witnessed me driving into the other car. That really confused me, because even though I may have been over the center line while ready to turn, I, and my fiancée, are absolutely positive that I was stationary. There is no damage at all to the front of my car, and my airbags didn't deploy, so I'm sure he must have just clipped my wheel which ended up breaking my driveshaft. Because I was told that two people witnessed it, that convinced me in my tired and confused state that that must have been the case. The police didn't take a statement from my fiancée at the roadside, and she's been trying to contact them by phone to give her version of events, but she hasn't been able to get through to them yet.

My court date is set, and I have no idea what I should do now. I haven't phoned my insurance company yet as I don't know what to say. I really need some advice.

hello, its certainly a complex case and one that we would need to have a close look at, the police need to prove that you were the driver of the vehicle and hearsay about this point would not be acceptable. there is only one way to find out and thats to attend court and get the case papers to see how the evidence is set out, we can then assess things from there, when are you due in court?

Thanks, but by the time you'd replied to my post I'd already spoken to a couple of solicitors, hired a Public Access barrister, and got two character references. The barrister was cheaper than a solicitor [£300 inc. VAT], and she really knew her stuff.

Unfortunately, both the cases before mine involved drink and drugs [not driving though], and the two defendants received harsh sentences, which didn't bode well for my case.

I ended up with a 24 month ban, reduced to 18 months if I complete the Drivers Awareness course, 12 months probation with 100 hours community service, and ordered to pay £85 court costs... At least I didn't get slammed with a huge fine as well, but I would have preferred a fine to the community service! Mind you, my car cost £2,500 to recover and repair, and my fiancees car was written off, so I'm currently down by £10,000.

I see my probation officer next week. I just hope I can fit in the hours around work, but it's not going to be easy with a full time job and a pregnant fiancee.

Sods law, I was with Admiral as well. They're disputing liability with the other insurance companies at the moment, and I'm expecting a huge bill at some point in the future. I didn't sign the Indemnity form they emailed me though, or reply to their email asking for details of my court date, but I've been fully compliant every time they've phoned me. My barrister said that they shouldn't have been able to cancel my insurance policy before I was convicted, so I'll fight them as much as possible if they chase me for the costs.

Last edited:
Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off