Alcohol dependency but not drink driving

Convicted Driver Insurance

Domben

Had accident due to falling asleep at wheel in March. Not breatalised. Had to inform DVLA. They took licence away for 6 months until I had tests to prove I was not suffering from epilepsy and had suffered a fit. Have applied to have my licence returned but have just recieved letter saying that my GP has told them about my alcohol dependency, painkiller use and depression for a number of years. Havent been drinking since March but I understand that the DVLA can revoke your licence if they believe that your drinking history poses a threat of drink driving, etc?

When the incident happened in March the GP sent them all the information so there is no point me 'lying' on the forms they have sent me.

Never had a drink drive conviction so I'm not sure what will happen next.

Any advice would be great.

in cases such as this they can remove your licence as they see fit until you can prove that you are fit enough to drive again. the GP will record everything you told him and provide this to the DVLA. if you dont dispute what you have said then simply abide by their decision and start to collect some evidence for your fitness to drive, let me know if we can help further, cheers

Thank you for your reply. In these cases do the DVLA usually ask for a medical even though I do not have a drink drive conviction? I'm not sure what evidence to collect to prove I'm 'fit to drive'. The GP has written a letter stating that I'm mentally fit and that my most recent liver tests show low alcohol levels. I'm really concerned about this as already had licence revoked for 6 months and any extension would be a nightmare.

Any advice would be gratefully recieved

There is actually plenty of guidance available on the DVLA website and other forums that provide the criteria and methods by which these problems are resolved. All the best with your enquiry

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off