How long have you held your licence (insurance question)

Convicted Driver Insurance

Sammi

Hi there, my cousin passed his driving test in 2004, and in 2005 he was disqualified from driving, and then again last year, after his disqualification period ended he got his licence back, he got his car insurance and when asked the question how long has he held his licence he said, he passed his driving in 2004, so the insurance person put down 6 to 7 years. However recently, someone driving in the wrong side of the road crashed into him (head on) and he broke his ribs, nose, leg, thumb and he had orbital fracture, metal plate put into his skull basically he was in a terrible state. His insurance company are now trying to pull a fast one on him, saying that he might not have been insured for not giving correct information about how long he has held his licence. Since the insurance company are saying that since he was disqualified he has held the licence for 0 years. Which in my opinion is utter nonsense. That is like saying someone has been driving for 20 years, then they get a disqualification for speeding, and when they go to get insurance after the disqualification period their licence is valid from the date the disqualification period ended so that means 0 years, so the 20 years experience magically disappears?

"Valid from" is not the same as "how long have you held your licence" - since even if he was disqualified he would have at least still held a licence for at least 4, even 7 years if you throw in a provisional licence. I just believe this company is trying to swindle him out of some money, basically they are taking him for an idiot or something, and threatening him with legal terminology.

this is certainly something that we could help with although it is a civil matter and not a criminal one, your cousin needs some legal help immediately and the situation could be resolved by our personal injury team who would fight to get everything that he is entitled to, please call me directly and we would be able to help, many thanks

Just to update everyone on this, I encouraged my cousin to take this to court, to cut the long story short the insurance company wanted to settle out of court, but they turned down his offer of accepting 20K, eventually in court he was awarded 47K and also the company was fined too. He was also paid close to 150k for his injuries for the stupid driver, driving up the wrong side of the dual carriage way. But this was totally thanks to a top-class solicitor, he really kept pushing them, very competent solicitor from Leeds.

Anyway, lucky for my cousin the doctors had said, he would never recover and would never be able to work again, but luckily he is pretty much back to perfect health now, but I suppose having 150k in your back pocket is a good motivator. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off