Should I sign this form? Typical costs for accidents?

Convicted Driver Insurance

cem

Hi there,

I was involved in an accident back in September. Long story short is, I went to a pub, had a few drinks and on the way home was following a 4x4. The 4x4 in front suddenly braked the other side of a humped back bridge (apparently for a fox), and I ended up going into the back of them, writing my car off and causing some minor damage to the rear of the other vehicle.

Police were called out, and I was found to be slightly over the limit. My licence was suspended and my insurance has claimed my policy to be voided.

The insurance company, Admiral, now wants me to sign an "indemnity form" from them, which will mean (as far as I am aware) that I am liable for any financial cost relating to injuries/damage to the other vehicle etc. I am worried that the other party involved are claiming whiplash, with three people being in the 4x4 despite them seeming to be fine immediately after the crash, but suddenly complaining of pain when the police arrived on scene.

What would you suggest is my best course of action, and what would happen if I didn't sign the form in question?

Also, I have absolutely no idea how much accidents like this normally cost, financially for those involved. Any ballpark figure would be greatly appreciated just in case it does end up being a worst-case-scenario. Like I say, the worst physical injury would be whiplash, if any, and the car in front suffered some minor damage to the rear bumper/underside of a 4x4.

Many thanks for any help!

We would need to take a look at the indemnity form before advising you about whether you should sign it or not. We cannot give specific advice without further information. However it may be an agreement that you will reimburse your insurance company for any compensation that they pay out to third parties as a result of the accident you were invovled in.

In general, where an insured driver involved in an accident is over the drink drive limit, insurance companies will compensate third parties for damage and personal injury but will not compensate their insured for any damage sustained to his/her own vehicle, even if they have the benefit of a fully comprehensive policy. Insurers will often then later pursue their insured for any compensation they have paid out to third parties.

You may find that if you refuse to sign the indemnity form your insurance company will refuse to deal with the third party claim on your behalf.

The value of personal injury claims for whiplash injuries depends on the severity of the injury and this will have to be established by a medical report. However, awards in excess of £1000 are fairly typical. I am afraid this could be an expensive accident for you.

You should seek specific legal advice from a solicitor about whether to sign the indemnity form and how you should deal with any claim for reimbursement from your insurance company or claim for compensation direct from third parties.

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off