drink driving medical, cost is to high as I am now a full time student what do I do?!

Convicted Driver Insurance

andymorl

Hello I am seeking advice following a 18 month drink driving ban I was convicted of November 2009. I served this ban in full and received my full licence back as of the end of April 2011. While applying for my licence back it was brought to my attention that High Risk Offenders would need to take a medical assessment (found myself falling in this category as I was two and a half times over the legal limit), after enquiring further about this I was told it was not necessary to take the medical assessment, received my licence and have been able to drive since.

Now I have just got a letter through the post dated 8th December 2011 telling me I now need to complete the medical assessment by a doctor appointed by the DVAL at a cost of £96 (plus VAT f the doctor is appointed for VAT). The reason given for this is that they have found issues with the system used by Her Majesty's Courts and Tribunals Service (HMCTS) to notify the DVAL of driving convictions, which has resulted in some convicted drink drivers who must be treated as Hight Risk Offenders not being subject to the necessary medical assessment before their new driving licence was issued; and if I fail to respond within 21 working days of the letter it will be assumed that I wish not to proceed with the examination consequently resulting in my licence being revoked.

Further to this the letter is inaccurate as the given conviction date is 30th January 2009 over 10 months out. There is also a free phone number to call to arrange the medical assessment.

It seems that I will be losing out for a mistake of there's that I took the time to inquire about and was told that there was no need for in the first place. Please help.....

I am a full time student living away and cannot justify owning a motor vehicle at present. The only time I do drive is over summer where I have been working in agriculture driving agricultural vehicles. This is a very large some of money for me to pay and at present there is no chance of affording this as accommodation and living cost take up my loan and what money I do earn working.

Any advice regarding this matter would be appreciated as losing my licence would be a great shame.

Andrew

The High Risk Offenders scheme is compulsory for all those that qualify. Therefore you have not lost out or in any way been prejudiced as a result of a failure in the court system to notify the DVLA of the fact that you qualify under the scheme. All that has actually happened is that there has been a delay in asking you to take the medical. In fact, it could be said that you have actually benefitted from the mistake in that you have enjoyed several months of driving without sitting the medical.

I am afraid that if you want to keep your licence you must pay for and sit the medical.

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off