Required to take DVLA medical after 2 years of having driving licence?

Convicted Driver Insurance

CMitchell

I have recently recieved a letter from the DVLA stating that I must complete a medical exam in order to keep my driving licence.

I have had my licence back for over 2 years and feel that this is not fair and that the cost will be expected to be made by myself.

I was made aware that before my disqualification ended that I may have to do a medical but when my licence was given back to me I was never informed that I would need to do a medical exam.

I do ocassionally binge drink and we do have a family history of alcohol abuse so is this going to show up in my medical history from my own doctor or is the DVLA appointed doctor not able to view my medical history from my doctor?

I have informed the DVLA that I will participate in the medical but that I would seek legal advice to determine if I am able to appeal this.

I feel that this is very wrong and unfair on those drivers that have been driving for long periods of time after their disqualification has ended to suddenly feel that they have served their time with the ban and now there is a possibility that they could lose their licence all over again.

Your advice would be grateful taken and I wait for your reply.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is something that we hear about, even just on this forum, with increasing regularity. However, I am afraid that if you fall into one of these catagories:
i) breath alcohol content exceeds 87.5mg (or equivalent in blood or urine)
ii) your second related drink driving offence within 10 years
iii) you failed to provide a specimen for analysis

then you fall under the DVLA's "High Risk Offender Scheme" and are required to pass a medical examination.

This may involve the DVLA seeking evidence from your GP and/or a physical examination by a DVLA medical expert.

Whilst it may seem unfair to you that the DVLA have given you your licence back before you have passed the medical examination I do not see this as a ground for appealing as there is a statutory requirement that you take part in and pass the medical if you want to retain your licence.

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off