Gutted........

Convicted Driver Insurance

Greeneye

I was convicted of DD nearly 8 years ago. I reapplied and was issued with my licence 2 years later. I have subsequently moved house 3 times; married and changed my name twice and had a speeding commuted to an awareness course, so have seen plenty of activity on my licence. At no point was I told there was a problem.
I recently noticed an admin error on my licence and phoned to correct it. They took about 6 weeks to come back to me and now say I'm HRO and must reapply for my licence and undergo a medical. They admit the error for not doing so at the time is theirs but insist it is not timebound and they can and will enforce it now. They say they have no discretion to waive this, although I hear it is not always enforced; and presumably they somehow managed to neglect it for the last 6 years!
I'm horrified - can they really do this? I'm in field sales and my employer is understandably getting a bit twitchy. Do I have any legal recourse?

This is highly unusual!
I suspect that what you have been told by the DVLA is correct. I am not aware of any time limit or discretion to waive the rules for the High Risk Offender Programme. This who fail to provide, are convicted of two offences within 10 years or provide breath samples over 87.5mg fall into the HRO scheme.
The medical is nothing to be concerned about providing your alcohol consumption is not out of the ordinary.

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off