Tested positive, blew 61mg on Friday

Convicted Driver Insurance

danhennessy

Hi,

I got pulled over on friday and was breathalysed and taken to a police station. Once at the station, I tested positive for alcohol and gave a reading of 61mg in my breath.

I spent the night in the cells and was released the next morning.

I have no issue with the fine and even points, but the possibilty of a disqualification poses real issues to me, I barely (3 weeks) have started a new job after a period of unemployment. As an IT consultant, I am required to drive to different sites everyday, which are definately not a commutable distance. My employer has made it quite clear, that a driving ban will result in me losing my job. To top this off, I live in a area with no public transport and with a child on the way, this is going to be an absolute nightmare, what do you think my chances are for escaping a ban, if I explain my circumstances.

Thanks in advance.

Dan

No chance! U will receive at least a 12 month ban, plus a fine. The court may offer you to take a Drink Driving Awarness Course which will reduce the ban by 25%, so a 12 month ban will be reduced to 9 months. But hey im not a solicitor so see what his reply will be.
Kaiden

I'm afraid I agree. If you are convicted of drink driving then the offence carries a mandatory minimum 12 month ban. The length of ban increases on a sliding scale with higher alcohol levels. In your case you should probably expect a ban of between 12 and 16 months. The personal mitigation you describe, if presented properly (and you might want help from a solicitor with this) may help keep the ban towards the lower end of that bracket but it will not enable you to avoid a ban completely. The drink drive rehabiliation course is definitely worth doing to reduce any ban by 25%.

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off