Reduction of 3 year ban (after 2 years)

Convicted Driver Insurance

NickyCFC

Hi,
I was banned for a second drink driving offence in June 2009; given a 3 year ban (first was in 2005; given 18 month ban). I would like to apply for my license to be returned early (2 years point is approaching in June) and am aware of the following:
- I need to apply to the Magistrates court first
- I will need to provide evidence of why I need my license back
- Take a DVLA medical
I plan to represent myself if given a hearing, and so am in the process of gathering up evidence (references, proof of new job prospects, proof of my reformed attitude) and am also putting together the initial letter.
What I need to now is how early can I send this letter to the court? I have heard that you can only apply after the 2 year point, but solicitors have told me to apply asap, ideally 1 month before. Basically I would like a date as near to the 2 year point as possible, even earlier if possible.
Also when will I get to take this medical? If I am given a hearing date before, can this also be done as soon as possible?
Any other information would be greatly appreciated (i.e. medical/ court costs). Also I know may sound brief with regards to my change of circumstances, but I am genuinely sincere that I am changed person (to the point that I am vehemently disgusted by my past behaviour) and want to put this dark chapter finally behind me.
I appreciate any help and opinions. Yours sincerely

The advice which you have been given is correct. Begin liaising with the Court well in advance of the 2 year mark. You cannot make the application before the 2 years have elapsed. You can however make the application immediately after it has elapsed. You should aim to have a hearing listed as early as possible after the 2 years. I would agree that if you write into the Court at least a month beforehand this should allow sufficient time for a hearing to be arranged.

The best piece of advice I can give you is that once you have written into the Court, ensure that you chase them up. Do not simply wait to hear from them. You should contact Listings, ensure that they've received your letter and then fix a date for the hearing.

If you would like to contact a member of the team to discuss your case in more detail, please call 0845 002 0736.

Carl Johnson
Drink Driving Solicitor
On behalf of Sean Joyce

Last edited:
Dear Mr Johnson,

Thank you ever so much for your advice regarding my query, it has defienetly cleared up some issues for me. However I have just one more question which is basically related to the issue of self representation.

I have read most of the pages on these forums and as well as many other places, and have often have seen it stated that hiring solictor is the better way to go. Costs are a major factor for me, hence my decision to represent myself. I also feel however that my own testimony may seem more genuine, and that if i can convey my regert to t he Judge it may work in my favour. As I said I am very ashamed of my past behaviour, and am genuine about my change of character. Hopefully they will appreciate this in court.

So in essence, I would just like to know what your thoughts about self representing, as for me it is the only real option. I know I will need to be very prepared, organised smart and honest, and am fully prepared to put in the time and effort. Like I siad, all I want to do is leave this behind and make somthing of my life.

Sorry for the long message, your help is not only appreciated, but priceless to me, so thanks once again.

Nicky

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off