drink drive medical

Convicted Driver Insurance

99ariyaratnamj

I am due to have my drink driving medical soon. The DVLA have messed me around initially telling me i didn't have to do it and i had to send a wrongly issued licence back. Im a student and post exams I had a couple of months June-July where I went out quite a few times 2-3 times in a week and got drunk 20+ units most nights. When i finished for the year I came home didn't drink for 2 weeks, then went on holiday for a week. Had a couple of very heavy nights on holiday with moderate drinking throughout the week as well. The last time I got very drunk was 7th August and I had my Gp test my blood 4 weeks after that and my liver profile was fine but gamma gt was 72. I then had it rechecked on the 24th September (3 weeks after it was last checked) and it went down to 41 and other enzymes were fine again as well. I kept abstaining thinking Id have the medical soon but the DVLA took so long to sort things out and kept telling me different time scales as to when it would be. I was very good with my abstinence, (i was abstinent for 2 months) went through freshers week completely dry etc.. but I gave in a few days ago and got very drunk thinking my medical would be a arranged a long time away only to find out the dvla finally got the paperwork through the day after i got drunk. Does anybody know if this one off binge after 2 months abstinence will significantly alter my lfts? Also if it is only the gamma gt that is above 50 and the rest of the liver markers are fine is that enough to refuse me the licence?

This is really a question for a medical expert rather than a lawyer. I am reluctant to comment on questions that are really a matter of medical opinion.

The DVLA use a panel of home office approved medical experts to advise them about their medical guidelines. You should consult the DVLA medical guidelines (available on the DVLA web site) and speak to a Doctor who can give you a more considered answer to your question.

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off