lost it 20 years ago

Convicted Driver Insurance

lee b

hi i lost my lincense 20 years ago well it was only a provissional an now im 38 i am going for it but have to sit the medicla which i have been reading about i was a big time weed smoker an drinker every day an now have not smoked weed in nearly 3 months an just have the beer here an there how much longer should i leave it befor sending off what ever form i need to do this medical and what is the correct form i need to send of,any help would be good, an wish i wernt such a jack the lad when i was younger ya past allways catch's up with you

If it is the case that you are applying for return of your licence because of a disqualification which caused you to fall under the provisions of the High Risk Offender Scheme then you will be required to secure satisfactory medical reports from own doctor(s) and may require independent medical examination and blood tests, arranged by DVLA. Satisfactory medical reports will need to be obtained before a drivers licence is re-instated under this scheme.

The DVLA will notify offenders covered by this scheme and inform them of what they need to do in order to successfully apply for the return of their driving licence. There will be a fee to pay for the return of the driving licence and a separate fee to pay for the necessary medical examination. The medical examination is designed to assess a drivers overall fitness to drive, with a focus on any past or present alcohol abuse or misuse problems. High risk offenders will be required to provide a sample of blood, a urine sample and undergo a brief physical medical examination including an eye test. The doctor will also perform a medical interview which will involve a series of questions that the high risk offender must answer.

If there is evidence of persistent alcohol misuse within the past 6 months or alcohol dependency within the past 12 months or there is evidence of current ongoing alcohol misuse or dependency then a high risk offender’s application for a driving licence will be refused. If any abnormalities are present then all relevant medical documents and test results will be passed onto the necessary qualified DVLA medical advisors for further assessment and review. Further information may then be requested from the high risk offenders GP and/or expert advice from relevant medical experts may be sought. If two or three of the blood test results are significantly higher than the acceptable laboratory reference range used by the DVLA then in the absence of liver disease or any relevant medication the high risk offender may be taking, the abnormalities will be considered to be caused by excessive alcohol intake/misuse and/or alcohol dependency. The driving licence application will then be refused.

If the driving licence application is refused then the high risk offender will be informed of the time period he/she must wait before another application and medical examination can be carried out. This can either be a period of 6 months or 12 months. In certain circumstances a temporary one, two or three year driving licence may be issued. This usually happens when alcohol dependency or misuse is uncertain and cannot be corroborated and/or where a high risk offender has a previous history of alcohol dependency or persistent alcohol misuse, but has satisfactory examination and blood tests. If this is the case then the high risk offender will have to submit to another medical examination after a one, two or three year period. The responsibility for making the decision about whether or not a person should continue to drive is that of the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA), with the doctor acting only as a source of information and advice.

A high risk offender has the right to appeal to a magistrates court about any decision to withhold or revoke their driving licence by the DVLA. In order to make a successful appeal they will need to instruct a solicitor who is familiar with the necessary procedures. An appeal must be made within 6 months of the decision being made by the DVLA

If you wish to arrange the medical you can contact the DVLA on 0870 240 0010 or alternatively if want to speak to us to ask any further questions you can reach us on 08450020736.

Last edited:
Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off