17 yr old son caught drunk driving in car park

Convicted Driver Insurance

Linusia

My 17 year old son was caught at the weekend at 1.30 am driving around a tesco car park with his friends, (he passed his test in Jan) stupidly he didn't have his lights on, was spotted by a policecar and breathalysed. He was taken to the police station and kept overnight. His second reading at the station was 53.

Can anyone tell me......

Is there any difference to being drunk driving on a road or in a car park or is it just behind a wheel?
Could he be charged with under age drinking?
Is the procedure/sentence the same for a 17 year old?

i believe that because Tescos car park has unrestricted access for the public it will make no difference wether it was a road or car park.

Im sure that the Solicitor who frequents these boards will be able to advise better and further.

The offence of driving with excess alcohol can be committed on a road or in a public place - such as a car park. It is likely that the car park in question will be considered a public place.

With a reading of 53 in breath your son is likely to be disqualified for 12 - 16 months and be ordered to either a Referral Order or custody, if this is his first offence and he pleads guilty at Court. The only options for a Court in this scenario are a referral order to a detention and training order at a Young Offender's Institute.

The fact that your son has only recently passed his test is likely to be considered an aggravating feature as is the fact that he was carrying passengers. Drinking under age will be noted by the Court but is unlikely to result is a separate prosecution.

Your son will be dealt with by a Youth Court where the procedure is less formal than in the adult Magistrates' Court. Even though your son is only 17 he will be entitled to ask for a referral to the Drink Drive Referral Course, which if granted by the Magistrates will enable a disqualification to be reduced by up to 25%.

Last edited:
Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off