Assitance for my Elderly Father

Convicted Driver Insurance

AMGE55

Good Evening
I would appreciate your advice on the following. My father who turned 81 this year was recently arrested for DD. He has been a model citizen for all his life (no offences criminal or motoring for 60 or more years of driving) and has recently been suffering from depression. For background my mother has been ill with a very debilitating illness. They have also been in dispute over a boundary hedge with the local council. Also to compound this he has suffered severe hearing loss over the last two years. As you will appreciate this has resulted in him withdrawing into a world of his own at times, although mentally he is still very clear.
Late one night two weeks ago he had started drinking some whiskey. He is not a drinker and this is out of the ordinary. At around 1am he left the house and took his car from the garage. My mother reported him missing to me by telephoning me around 2am. I live around 20 miles away and quickly left the house went to look for him. I found his car around a mile from his home (by chance seeing it parked in a roadside car park) I feared the worst and began searching the area, just then the police pulled up and after checking who I was, advised they had him in custody for DD. I gave them my number and went to see my mother. I later rang the station but they would not give me much information again taking my number.
Eventually the lady officer who arrested him rang me. She said she would have preferred to take him home and avoid the arrest as she realised he was “out of place” but his car had rolled back on them as they removed him from it and nudged their squad car. It later transpired there was no damage. She explained they were waiting for the doctor and would ring me when he could be released. About 40 minutes later she rang and informed me the doctor was there and could start out to collect him.
I went to the police station and met the officer and was taken to where they were holding my father. As you can appreciate he was in a state and confused. I assisted the police with the final explanations and finger printing etc. Also due to him being hard of hearing they were worried about him understanding them. In fairness the Police were very good and I feel they realised what had happened but are obviously bound by the law, I was relieved to know my father was safe and sound.
I have today been to see my Fathers GP with him and he has offered to pen a letter describing this being out of character and his situation and resulting depression for which he has now prescribed tablets. My main concern is that my father is falling apart with worry now and a court appearance could have a severe effect on his health. I would appreciate your advice on how best to proceed. His offence has not yet been confirmed and it is North Warks Police dealing with the case. My father has accepted his actions and that he will lose his driving licence, although he has no clear memory of the night and why he left home at that time in the morning or where he was heading! The effect on my parent’s lives and mobility will be devastating, but my main concern is my Fathers mental state and him worrying about a court appearance. You advice would be very welcome.

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off