Letter to the court

Convicted Driver Insurance

Regretfulfool

I'm due in court on 26/4/10. My car broke down and i was waiting for the RAC to arrive but the police beat them to it. The policeman noticed alcohol on my breath and tested me and i was over the limit. A later test on the intoximeter gave a reading of 89. Its my first offence, i've been driving for 5 years.
I'm not sure if i am being done for drinking and driving, or just being in charge of the car and drinking.
I cant afford a private solicitor so will be using the duty one on the day. I understand that I can write a letter (to the court or to the magistrate?) with mitigating circumstances, expressing my regret etc. Do you know if i should send this to the court beforehand, or take it with me on the day?
Also do you have any advice on what sort of things i should say in the letter?
Many thanks for any help

Last edited:
What goes in the letter would depend on the circumstances surrounding the offence (which will help formulate your offence mitigation) and your personal circumstances (which will determine your personal mitigation). I could not tell you specifically what to put in any letter without speaking to you in detail about both. This is something you should take advice from a solicitor about.
I would not send a letter to the court until you have consulted a solicitor. The duty solicitor scheme does not enable you to speak to the duty solicitor until you arrive at court on the day of the hearing, which is not ideal. Take your letter with you and ask the duty solicitor for his opinion before you hand it in.

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off