Past conviction legal implication for life?

Convicted Driver Insurance

giusy

Dear/Sir

I was convicted of drinking and driving in 1997. My level of alcohol was less than 40 reading.

Since then I have lived the trauma of the crime record that will be a stigma for life I guess?

Since then I never touch alcohol if I'm driving. Never.

I work with vulnerable adults and and since 2004 I have had 3 Enhanced Disclosure/CRB checks which were all clear none of them showed any record of conviction. Recently I moved to a new company and I thought that after such a long time.. 15 years and having seen the last 3 CRB checks clean I did not disclose the info of the conviction because I would not have a chance to get the job if I did so.

Today I received a copy of the new CRB check for my new post and saw that they have disclosed the conviction I got back in 1997. The info of the Drink and drive conviction are printed - and quite clear!!
I wasn't honest and now they know! I might never get a job again!!!

Do you think this is fair? I feel very distressed and upset because it seems that I will not have a chance to move on from the ONE mistake I have made in my juvenile past. Why they disclose it now.. after 15 years and not before?

Is there any way I can dispute this?

Yours Faithfully
Giusy

The length of any rehabilitation period is dependant on the sentence imposed by the Court rather than the type of offence committed.

Under section 34(3) of the Road Traffic Offenders Act 1988 a conviction, for specified alcohol related driving offences, is relevant for sentencing for a period of 10 years. However, under the 1974 Act a conviction would be deemed spent after 5 years if a financial penalty was imposed by the Court in addition to the disqualification. Nonetheless you would still not be entitled to a clean driving licence until 11 years had lapsed from the alcohol related motoring conviction.

Your conviction is therefore spent under both the Road Traffic Offenders Act 1988 and the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974. As such it need not be declared. However, for certain types of job applications the form will say that the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act does not apply and you are requested to disclose all convictions, even those that are spent. This may be the case if you apply for a job working with children or other vulnerable people. In these situations an enhanced CRB check will be conducted and the Criminal Records Bureau will exercise their discretion in relation to what they decide to disclose. If you have an issue with what they have disclosed in your case then you will need to take it up with them direct.

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off