Wait for return of licence?

Convicted Driver Insurance

jimbo

My period of disqualification ends at midnight tomorrow (March 10th). My licence has been delayed by the DVLA civil servants strike!

Can I drive on the 11th anyway or must I wait until my licence is returned?

Well, it's March 11th. My car, serviced, valeted, taxed and insured has been delivered to my drive. No sign of my licence yet. The DVLA website says I can drive it (I think). My solicitor advised me not to until my licence is in my little hand.

What should I do?

Technically you cannot drive unless you have actually been issued with a driving licence. If you were to drive without it then you would be committing an offence of driving without a licence. However, as you would actually be entitled to a licence and are simply waiting for it to be sent, this would be a non-endorseable offence. In other words you could be fined but would not get points or another ban. Indeed if you were stopped you would be given 7 days to produce your licence, by which time you could even have it.

Many thanks for this. I remain confused. The DVLA website states:

Once DVLA has received your valid application you can drive before you receive your licence as long as you:
have held a GB or Northern Ireland licence issued since 1 January 1976 or another exchangeable licence
aren’t disqualified from driving (there are different rules for medium or large vehicles, minibus or bus drivers - the traffic commissioner for your area will decide whether to grant your entitlement to drive these vehicles)
haven’t been refused a licence for medical reasons or for failing to comply with medical enquiries
wouldn’t be refused a licence for medical reasons (if in doubt, check with your doctor)
keep to any special conditions which apply to the licence

Well, they have my licence application, my disqualification is over and they are dragging their feet.......

Last edited:
If your disqualifiaction is over and you have applied, you can drive.

However, because many of the police are dickheads, if I were you I would take some proof of having applied for your license (i.e. the sheet you have to sign and date, tear off and write your driver number on it) and also the letter you got from court stating when your ban started and ended.

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off