UK driving ban with French driving licence

Convicted Driver Insurance

Steph

Hi
My partner has just come to the end of a 36 month ban for drink-driving.

Whilst being resident in the UK he has always driven on his French licence.

As he does not have a UK licence, the Courts had no jurisdiction over his French licence and it remained endorsement-free (in fact, he didn't have to present it in court!)

I am now looking at insuring him as a named driver on my insurance. I have today received insurance paperwork from an insurance company and in the section "any convictions in the last 5 years?" they wrote "no" when I did disclose and discuss at length the DUI conviction.

After checking with them, they said it was fine to do it like that because his licence is French and clean. I said to them that I am concerned that it looks like I did not disclose a conviction however they've told me not too worry, that our conversations were recorded, etc, it's all legit but I am still worried.. What do you think?

Thanks!

As your husband has a licence from another EU member state he can drive on his French licence for 3 years after becoming resident or until the age of 70, whichever is the longer. The rules regarding foreign driving licences can be found at: http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/DriverLicensing/DrivingInGbOnAForeignLicence/DG_4022556Your

However, if your husband was convicted of drink driving (or any other endorseable offence) in the UK then it is irrelevant whether he had a British driving licence at the time or not. The DVLA will record the conviction against his UK driving record and when he applies for a British licence it should be endorsed with the offence.

I see no legal justification for not disclosing the conviction to his insurance company. The insurer may seem very relaxed about the issue now when they are taking your money but they may not be quite as relaxed about it if your husband were to be involved in an accident resulting in a claim against your policy. You will have no proof that you disclosed it and you may not find it as easy as you might think to get a copy of the telephone conversation. My advice would be to make sure it is recorded in writing, either on the form or by a letter to the insurer sent by recorded delivery. Keep a copy of the letter and proof of posting.

Last edited:
Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off