No insurance

Convicted Driver Insurance

KAIDEN

Hi need some advice please, im sorry if its not to do with Drink Driving but im sure you will know the area i need advice in. My mum is on holiday, i took her car without any insurance because earlier in the day i spoke to a police officer who said i should bring my son back to his mum, as me and my sons mum had a falling out and she called the police saying i would not bring him back. Anyway i felt under pressure to take my son back so with no lift available i drove my mums car, when i arrived at my sons mums house the police were their! My gf ran outside took my son then told the police officer i had no insurance to drive my mums car! They did checks and they did me for it and i now have to attend court, i think im looking at 6 points and a fine im unemployed at the moment so hoping for a smallish fine, its so annoying as im not a person who drives everyday without insurance, it was a one off and it was like i was set up. Also the officer said he will have to speak to my mum when she gets back to see if she consented to me taking the car? What should i do? If she says yes, will she be in trouble for allowing me to drive her car without insurance? What will the penaltys be for her? And if i tell her to state she gave me no permission? What extra on top of no insurance will the penalty be for me? As i suppose this will be like stealing the car! All a nightmare. hope you can help, its a bit of a crazy story.

If your Mum admitted allowing you to drive the car without insurance then she could be prosecuted (and probably convicted) of permitting you to drive without insurance. This carries the same penalty as driving without insurance, ie 6 to 8 points or a ban and a fine. On the other hand if your mother told the police that you drove without her permission then you are like to be prosecuted for taking a motor vehicle without consent. This is a serious offence that carries a ban and up to 6 months in prison. My advice to you and your mother would be to exercise your right to silence and say nothing. You are both perfectly entitled to do this.

It would be best if your mum sought legal advice on her return from her holiday. This is something that we are able to assist her with. Please ask her to contact us prior to speaking with the police so that advice may be obtained. We provide free initial advice.

Last edited:
Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off