caught in ireland

Convicted Driver Insurance

Petebog

I live in Northern Ireland, so I have a UK address, and hold a UK driving licence. I am being charged with drink driving in the Republic of Ireland - obviously not part of the UK. Does a Court there have any power to take my licence from me, or endorse my licence in any way? I've heard about something they're calling a 'reciprocal agreement' between the North and the South, but I don't know if it's in force, or if it means anything.

The United Kingdon and Republic of Ireland have recently introduced mutual recognition agreements. This means that, for certain serious offences a UK ban is now recognised in the Republic Of Ireland and vice versa. This applies where disqualification arises for specific offences which cover six main areas:
i) Reckless or Dangerous Driving
ii) Failing to Stop at the scene of an accident
iii) Drink or drug driving and refusing to provide a breath, blood or urine specimen
iv) Speeding ( discretionary disqualifications)
v) Driving whilst disqualified
vi) Driving disqualifications of six months or more arising from a road traffic accident.

Medical revocations or disqualifications under the totting up provisions (ie when you get 12 or more points) are not included in the agreement.

If you drive in Ireland whilst banned in the UK you commit the serious offence of disqualified driving.

Many thanks for your advice. My enquiries locally have led me to believe that the recently introduced mutual recognition agreements have not yet been put into effect. A local (off duty) police officer in the border area here has told me that this is in fact 'still years away', and that a disqualification in the ROI will not at present have any effect on my driving in the UK on my UK licence. His final words to me were 'don't worry about it.' Another local solicitor has told me the same thing. I am now confused as to the precise situation.

I think they are wrong.

The UK leglislation has been in place since 2008 but was brought into force on 28th January 2010. The DFT have issued clear guidance confirming this to be the case.

If you want chapter and verse so that you can carry out your own research then the primary legislation that gives effect to the 1998 European Convention on driving disqualifications is:
- The Mutual Recognition of Driving Disqualifications (Great Britain and Ireland) Regulations 2008 Statutory Instrument 3010 and;
- The Crime (International Co-operation) Act 2003 (Commencement No 4) Order 2008 Statutory Instrument 3009).

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off