confused

Convicted Driver Insurance

wilky

Hi I hope you can help.

I crashed my car while over the limit on the 21st of August 2009, no one else involved thank god but I was concussed and taken to hospital. I know I was breath tested and was twice over the limit. Blood was taken at the hospital and my partner picked me up from there. I have very little memory of what happend and what they said to me (the police had gone when my partner arrived) and all I had was my blood sample. I contacted the police the next day and I was told my blood results would be back in 6 to 12 weeks and they would contact me then. I have heard nothing since.. I have absolutley no documentation to show anything happend, not even a print out of my breath test (should I have one anyway?).

This has been hanging over my head for so long now, surely I should have heard something by now? Its making me so worried..

Please help

Hello There firstly stop worrying - it'll get you no where!!

If you gave a breath sample at the hospital it can not be used as evidence against you..... only the the breathalyser at the police station is used for that. which you did not go anywhere near....

So the blood sample that was taken - I would imagine - is lost, misplaced - or you would have been asked to report to the police station by now to be charged - these samples usually come back within 6wks....

So get on with your life...... :)

If however sometime in the future they (police) do charge you. Have a lawyer inquire about the time delay and validity of the specimen.

Good luck

PS.. Drinking and Driving is a mugs game (pass it on)- just think of all those months of worry!!! and for what? a few beers - If you continue to do it - you'll get caughlt - I hope

Last edited:
There is no requirement for you to be taken to the police station. It is common practice for drivers involved in an accident to be taken to hospital and undergo the drink drive procedure at the hospital, rather than police station, with a medical practitioner present and for a blood specimen to be used. The breath test you underwent is likely to have been a road side screening test and has no evidential value. There are strict rules surrounding blood samples taken at hospital and it is vital that these are followed. Not least of all there is the issue of consent, which could be relevant in your case.

Whilst usually blood results are available within about 6 weeks delays do sometimes occur. You can usually have your own sample analysed within a few days for around £100 to £200. This would have told you whether your blood sample was over the limit or not. However, the sample should be kept refridgerated in order to preserve it and may deteriorate with time.

There is a 6 month time limit, from the date of the offence, within which the police must request a summons or charge you with the offence. Therefore, the police still have time to do this (until 22nd February 2010). The last thing you want to do is expedite the process by contacting the police. You should do nothing and simply wait and see whether you receive a summons or some other contact from the police. If that proves to be the case then feel free to contact us direct for free over the phone advice on 08450020736.

Thankyou for your advice, just one more thing, should I not have some kind of documentation to say I am on bail or anything other than just my blood sample?

You are not on bail, so you would not have been given a bail notice.
there is no other documentation that the police are required to provide, although usually they give you an information leaflet explaining how you go about having your own sample of blood analysed.

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off