worried about blood test

Convicted Driver Insurance

bloodtest

I was pulled over around 7am New Years day. The reason given to me was that they were carrying out random stops. The officer asked if I had anything to drink to which I replied 'yes'. I failed the breathalyzer test and was brought to the police station to be tested again. They tested me at 8.10am and I blew 40 and 41. I was told that since I blew 41 I would have the option to give a blood test. The blood test was taken about 1-2 hours later between which time I used the toilet once.

They say it will take up to 6 weeks for the results to come back and I am very worried as I have only had my licence since June. Is there any reason that a blood test would show a higher reading than that of the breathalyzer test and therefore put me over the limit?

First of all, without a specific authority, as a general rule the police cannot carry out random breath tests. If you are prosecuted you should check that the police had the necessary authority to do this.

Whether your alchol levels were on the way up or down in between the breath and blood samples will depend on a number of variables, including what you had to drink and when.

The police are required to split the blood specimen into two separate samples and offer one to you to take away with you. This should be stored in a fridge. For around £100 to £200 you can have your sample analysed by an independent analyst which will usually yield a result within a week or so. This should confirm what you blood alcohol reading is and put you out of your misery.

If you need help with any aspect of this then call us at any time on 08450020736 or email us direct at saj@stephensons.co.uk

Thanks for your reply.

I was given a sample but as I am not working I dont have the £100 for an independent blood test.

Do you know if breath and blood samples ever differ much? My last drink was around 5am

There will inevitably be a difference. Even two breath samples taken within a couple of minutes of each other will almost always differ slightly. The degree to which they differ will depend on a variety of factors. It is impossible for me (or anyone else for that matter) to predict whether your blood sample will be the same or substantially different to the breath sample. The only way of knowing for sure is to have the blood analysed.

regarding your own blood analysis, contact Dr Griffiths at Bangor Hospital.

I used him recently for my own sample and the cost was under £50.

hth

Hi,

Thanks for your suggestion regarding my own sample but as I couldn't get the money together I opted not to get my sample tested. After reading other posts I figured it wouldn't make much difference anyway as the police would have gone on their reading.

However, in this instance, I have been very lucky. I was bailed till the 12th Feb but I received a call today from the arresting officer who confirmed to me that the blood test result came back as under. I didn't ask what the figure was exactly but I guess it doesn't really matter.

I am counting my blessings right now and have totally learnt my lesson. It has been just over 5 weeks since the incident and it has been the longest wait ever! Worse than a one day hangover! I have had so many sleepless nights because of this and it was totally not worth it. Going anywhere near your car after having any amount of alcohol is NOT WORTH THE RISK!!!!

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off