spiked drink

Convicted Driver Insurance

pj_112

yesterday night i was arrested for drink driving.

my reading was 43 and 44.

i passed my test in june of this year so only have had my license for 6 month(ish).

my car is more or less written off, but thankfully due to the grace of god, no one else was involved.

yesterday between 5.30pm and 7.30pm i was watching the football at the pub. my cousin who i havent seen in a while and has just got engaged decided to come and see me at the pub. i brought one pint and then he brought me another - this pint he brought had a double whiskey in it - something that i have only just found out.

i couldnt finish this second pint cos it tasted weierd but didnt bother to question my cousin at the time, thinking he got me the wrong larger.

i have never been in trouble with the law, and never intend to. this has been the most embarrassing episode in my life. i have a good job, and work very hard. i think everyone would say i am a responsible person. i would never have drove if id have known that my drink had whiskey in it as well as lager. i felt fine as it seemed like i only had 1.5 pints to 2 pints of larger, which i think is ok? i mentioned to the ambulance crew and the doctor in police station that i drank around 2 pints, and that i couldnt finish the second pint. but i dont think they were bothering to listen to me. i can only gather this now that i am coming out of shock. i also find it hard to believe the police didnt once ask me what happend. they just seemed interested in taking my breath sample and arresting me. which is fair enough i suppose. after all i was in the wrong.

is there anything that i can do? the police did not ask me about anything or take a statement or anything?

also would my cousin get into trouble for doing this? as i would rather deal with the consequences myself if he will get into trouble.

many thanks.

Last edited:
If your drink has been spiked, unbeknown to you, then you are still guilty of driving with excess alcohol but would have a Special Reason that could mean the Court don't disqualify you from driving. These are tricky cases to run and I would advise you to be represented in court.

You would have to obtain forensic evidence to show that the alcohol you knowingly drank would not have put you over the limit.

If there was evidence that your cousin knew you were driving home then he could be prosecuted for aiding and abetting a drink driving offence, which carries the same penalties as drink driving itself.

Last edited:
If your drink has been spiked, unbeknown to you, then you are still guilty of driving with excess alcohol but would have a Special Reason that could mean the Court don't disqualify you from driving. These are tricky cases to run and I would advice you to be represented in court.

You would have to obtain forensic evidence to show that the alcohol you knowingly drank would not have put you over the limit.

If there was evidence that your cousin knew you were driving home then he could be prosecuted for aiding and abetting a drink driving offence, which carries the same penalties as drink driving itself.

Many thanks for your advice.

Do the crime, do the time. I guess thats what i will be doing. Either way, I shouldnt have been driving. Do you think having a solicitor with me at the hearing/trial will be beneficial? I am still waiting for my bail hearing which is 6th Feb 2010.

The other thing if anyone can help, i see some places say when you do a bllod test, any reading over 80mg is a fail, and some say if its over 108mg its a fail? this is a large differential??

80 in blood, 107 in urine.

Why on earth would your cousin spike your drink?

because i hadnt seen him in a while, and he didnt know i was driving, as i usually get picked up and dropped off by my brother or girl friend.

anyway, doesnt matter now.

like i said earlier, just forever thankful no one was injured in the accident. will be grateful for as long as i live for that.

Well, just got back from court.

Thank god there was a duty solicitor to handle my case for me.

Anyways, i just pleaded guilty.

Got £675 fine and 12 month ban which will be reduced to 9 months once i do this drink aware course.

Biggest ever inconvenience in my life this.

Can't wait til November 15th.

Thank you all.

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off