1st Time Offence

Convicted Driver Insurance

SophieDen

Four months ago I got caught drink driving stupidly decided to drive home after a few drinks in the day, I had a blood test and finally received a letter two days ago. Why did it take so long for them to get in touch?

My court date is 10 days away. My blood levels came back 110mg. It's my first time offence, I'm so worried about court. Do I need a solicitor?

Also says to send a letter with a guilty plea if I will be pleading guilty? What do I say, do I give any explanation?

Does everyone get offered the alcohol awareness course?

Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

The police have up to 6 months from the date of the offence to issue a charge. It is not unusual for a case like this to take the length of time it has before a charge is laid. There is nothing to read into it on the face of it.

A reading of 110mg of alcohol per 100ml of blood puts you in the first sentencing bracket meaning you will be liable for a disqualification of between 12 and 16 months together with a fine. If you have received a postal requisition or a summons you are invited to indicate your plea prior to attending court. This is so they can allocate you to the correct court for the hearing date but the reality is that your case will not be fully considered until the day of the hearing when you can advance mitigation and potentially character references in support.

The offer of a drink driving rehabilitation course is not made on every occasion but in circumstances like yours is very likely to be offered. This will reduce your ban by up to 25%.

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off