DVLA Medical

Convicted Driver Insurance

PIRANHA-69

My last drink drive conviction was in August 2000 (this was 2nd within period 1991 - 2000 incurring a 36 month disqualification. I did not receive any notice between 2000 - 2003 from DVLA to inform me that I was I high risk offender. Subsequent to this I have not driven or reapplied for my licence at any time in the last 15 years. A DR10 would only remain on an actual licence for 11 years. It is only now due to change in career/job that I would need to be able to drive.

I have paid the £65 licence fee application and they have written to inform me that I must now attend a medical some 15 years later at an additional fee of £98.50. This does not seem either fair or equitable I would also have to pay for photographs to be signed/verified at medical even though licence application was supported by my current biometric passport.

I have not yet booked the medical because I do not have funds available as yet and only have 6 weeks to attend from date of their letter. Is this all correct as when I last ever contacted DVLA in early 2003 they assured me that I did not need to take a medical or retake my test.

Can you please advise accordingly.

Kind regards,

Kevin

Pursuant to their guidelines, the DVLA have correctly assessed you as a 'high risk offender' given the conviction in 2000 was your second within a 10 year period. All high risk offenders have to undertake a medical before their licence is reinstated. Although it was a long time ago, the fact that you have never followed through with a medical following expiry of your ban means that this has to be dealt with before licence reinstatement can be considered. Unfortunately, this process is the correct one and you will need to take part in a medical to allow the DVLA to assess fitness to drive.

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off